Login |  Register |  FAQ

Steam Group

Teamspeak Server

Server Statistics

Facebook Page

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next

Server Changelog

Post subject: Re: Server Changelog
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:57 pm 

IGN: reen624
Current Life: 11.0 hrs
Time Alive: 241.8 hrs
Humanity: 35,766

Murders: 1
Bandit Kills: 63
Deaths: 99
Zombies Killed: 2,202

I'm a hero!
Can u slightly reduce empty (and full) tin cans at industrial spawns? And maybe add sandbags to industrial too? In my opinion too much tin cans!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:27 am 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
11/03/2014

- Antihack changes - Some people said they were getting pretty bad FPS drops the past couple of days. The symptoms described to me were a gradual decrease in max FPS over time. Getting in a vehicle, opening gear or rejoining the server would result in regular FPS again.

I added and changed quite a few functions over the last few days but based on the description I have been given I think I have found and removed the cause. Let me know if you are still seeing problems.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:32 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
(after next restart)

12/03/2014

Helicrash loot changes - Small buff to the crash sites, percentage chance for loot changed from 0.5 to 0.7 also removed a few of the crappier weapons from both crash site tables.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:00 am 

IGN: Joe AKA Jonas
Current Life: 0.4 hrs
Time Alive: 0.7 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 0
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 1
Zombies Killed: 0

I'm not a bandit!
Thank you! I'm tired of looting AK's at crashsites.. : D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
14/03/2014 (after 4pm restart)

Anti Third Person Whore Script - New script I wrote, the days of people who lay on firestation roofs thirdpersoning for hours on end are over! You will no longer be able to use the third person camera if you are above ground level and in any prone animation. If the admins find anyone using camera glitches to repeatedly do things like look through walls or exploit glitches they can and will kick/ban people for it. If you find a bug with the third person script report it to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:20 pm 

IGN: eberteby
Current Life: 9.8 hrs
Time Alive: 860.1 hrs
Humanity: -235,384

Murders: 152
Bandit Kills: 159
Deaths: 352
Zombies Killed: 4,720

I'm a bandit!
Nice nice, best update ever next to the animated crashsites ofcourse :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
14/03/2014 (after 7pm restart)

No third person when leaning - This free wallhack is now gone thanks to the people doing it for over 1 hour earlier to look through the barrack walls for showing me how insanely lame it is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:59 pm 

IGN: Nice Guy Eddie
Current Life: 8.2 hrs
Time Alive: 367.1 hrs
Humanity: -171,385

Murders: 81
Bandit Kills: 87
Deaths: 82
Zombies Killed: 2,096

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:

No third person when leaning - This free wallhack is now gone thanks to the people doing it for over 1 hour earlier to look through the barrack walls for showing me how insanely lame it is.

In general, I like this change and the other 3rd person one as those exploits are heavy and I'm looking forward to the change in gameplay this will bring. But where will you draw the line? For example third person in cars is necessary to drive it properly, but you can abuse this easily as well to look over walls and even small buildings. Also will it still be allowed to use 3rd person to look over concrete walls? How about standing in trees and using 3rd person? It also will become very difficult to defend your base if you cant use sandbags properly andmore on top of your base. There is nothing else but containers to give you proper protection up therewhen being crouched since you cant use prone anymore. Anyone else on the ground attacking simply can 3rd person on you, while standing behind a wall or lying behind it.

I played some time on DayZ Caribou and the creator of this map implemented that there was no 3rd person available at all BUT for cars. I really liked it there and as you have the option for freelook by using alt it is still not like the general FPS where you can't really see whats happening around you.

I think there will be a big discussion in the future about 3rd and 1st person as some of these changes you made and will make, may seem to some players "unfair".

I will try this the next days and see what my final opinion will be. For now I think it is an interesting step into the right direction without completely removing 3rd person.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
rCane wrote:
Seaweed wrote:

In general, I like this change and the other 3rd person one as those exploits are heavy and I'm looking forward to the change in gameplay this will bring. But where will you draw the line? For example third person in cars is necessary to drive it properly, but you can abuse this easily as well to look over walls and even small buildings. Also will it still be allowed to use 3rd person to look over concrete walls? How about standing in trees and using 3rd person? It also will become very difficult to defend your base if you cant use sandbags properly andmore on top of your base. There is nothing else but containers to give you proper protection up therewhen being crouched since you cant use prone anymore. Anyone else on the ground attacking simply can 3rd person on you, while standing behind a wall or lying behind it.

I played some time on DayZ Caribou and the creator of this map implemented that there was no 3rd person available at all BUT for cars. I really liked it there and as you have the option for freelook by using alt it is still not like the general FPS where you can't really see whats happening around you.

I think there will be a big discussion in the future about 3rd and 1st person as some of these changes you made and will make, may seem to some players "unfair".

I will try this the next days and see what my final opinion will be. For now I think it is an interesting step into the right direction without completely removing 3rd person.

Originally I was happy enough with my original change, however there is a player in a squad at the moment who seems to make his primary purpose in the game to find and exploit glitches with the camera. I added a rule today about it today because I'm sick of it. I'm not looking to punish the average player but people who literally sit in a location for huge periods of time (over 1 hour today) doing things like this will not be tolerated.

I think we all have come across view/wall bugs before but there's a distinct difference between using something once advantageously, and continually exploiting glitches like this every time you are playing. What I observed from them today was effectively wall hacking.

We'll see how everyone react to the prone changes I am hopeful it will improve combat a lot too. I loved what Grafzahl did with caribou too, I would love to do the same with ZS or just remove 3PP entirely it would totally kill the player count though :/

I've removed the lean script for the time being anyway because it caused a few bugs with vehicles I forgot to cover.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:40 am 

IGN: Hunter2000
Current Life: 5.7 hrs
Time Alive: 485.5 hrs
Humanity: 2,218

Murders: 7
Bandit Kills: 22
Deaths: 161
Zombies Killed: 7,863

I'm not a bandit!
in terms of realism 3rd person comes to solve the issue of a player not being able to adjust their pose beyond the basic prone-crouch and standing position:

the classic example of this is hiding in trees or tall grass, in real life I would be able to move my head slightly to overcome branches obscuring my view while still remaining concealed, in game without 3rd person it is mostly impossible.

another example could be when someone is lying prone on the very top of a firestation, realistically you should be able to peek down with only your eyes and top of the head showing but in 1st person it is just not possible: you have to go to crouched position to accomplish that which exposes your torso and up.

so if you can find a middle ground that allows to "lean" up/down/diagonals in 1st person, great, but otherwise I think it would be a mistake to just disable 3rd person.

(pointing the player weapon up and using freelook would typically cause the same level of exposure they should have from peeking over wall even if its only their hand and weapon showing)

reference image: Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:48 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
RadX wrote:
in terms of realism 3rd person comes to solve the issue of a player not being able to adjust their pose beyond the basic prone-crouch and standing position:

the classic example of this is hiding in trees or tall grass, in real life I would be able to move my head slightly to overcome branches obscuring my view while still remaining concealed, in game without 3rd person it is mostly impossible.

another example could be when someone is lying prone on the very top of a firestation, realistically you should be able to peek down with only your eyes and top of the head showing but in 1st person it is just not possible: you have to go to crouched position to accomplish that which exposes your torso and up.

so if you can find a middle ground that allows to "lean" up/down/diagonals in 1st person, great, but otherwise I think it would be a mistake to just disable 3rd person.

(pointing the player weapon up and using freelook would typically cause the same level of exposure they should have from peeking over wall even if its only their hand and weapon showing)

reference image: Image

I'm not going to question that ARMA 2 could use ARMA 3's stance system but that's not really possible in the mod. The way most people use third person especially prone on high spots such as firestations is far from realistic though and it has a big impact on gameplay. If you're a player on the ground there is nothing you can do about a person third personing you prone from on top of a building.

This video from Dslyexci sums up my thoughts on the way most people use third person in ARMA very well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:57 am 

IGN: TooHighToFly
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 452.6 hrs
Humanity: -134,510

Murders: 92
Bandit Kills: 68
Deaths: 127
Zombies Killed: 2,957

I'm a bandit!
Hunter, you have some good points but try looking at it from the view of a player who is being "third personed" on.

Put yourself in a position where you have a complete advantage, e.g. having someone pinned inside a building. But if the person you have pinned is abusing 3rd person they can look through the wall, spot you out and then direct their friends to your location, as Dslyecxi puts it "knowledge without consequence". This creates quite a big imbalance in the game, especially for players playing alone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:11 pm 

IGN: reen624
Current Life: 11.0 hrs
Time Alive: 241.8 hrs
Humanity: 35,766

Murders: 1
Bandit Kills: 63
Deaths: 99
Zombies Killed: 2,202

I'm a hero!
I have no problem with disabling third person!

Of course its less comfortable. But think of cars. How unrealistic is that? The car or any vehicle will be much more difficult/realistic to handle! At some times a second person who is lookin around while u drive will be necessery. I would prefer that on server for immersion!
I like the idea to max out realism on that cool server as much as possible!

And please deactivate the navigation via map as well. I wrote that before ;)

Greets reen

Post Scriptum: Dont care about the pussy players that are crying :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:51 pm 

IGN: Twoflower
Current Life: 5.8 hrs
Time Alive: 66.6 hrs
Humanity: -27,598

Murders: 12
Bandit Kills: 13
Deaths: 38
Zombies Killed: 1,129

I'm a bandit!
reen624 wrote:
And please deactivate the navigation via map as well. I wrote that before ;)

Greets reen

Deactivating range would be cool, but taking off direction marker would be to much imho. I like realism, and many other features that makes this server much more harder the rest but, disabling map navigation (navigating at night in a middle of nowhere is so cool ;x) wont affect the gameplay at all, you will just spend more time running from point A to point B. This game is already Jogging Simulator in some cases. I think that theres many other players that wont spend 80% in dayz at folling around and pressign Alt+Tab for Dayz Db Map.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:35 pm 

I'm a bandit!
reen624 wrote:

Yeah, but people who don't like it will leave and the player count will drop as a result. The lower the player count the less desirable the server is to play on so there will be fewer and fewer new members.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:13 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
tomisafish wrote:
Hunter, you have some good points but try looking at it from the view of a player who is being "third personed" on.

Put yourself in a position where you have a complete advantage, e.g. having someone pinned inside a building. But if the person you have pinned is abusing 3rd person they can look through the wall, spot you out and then direct their friends to your location, as Dslyecxi puts it "knowledge without consequence". This creates quite a big imbalance in the game, especially for players playing alone.

Yeah I get it and if there was a good alternative I would take it. I like that Seaweed disabled some of the 3rd person in prone position on top of ATC/FS even though I think going crouched gives way too much exposure than it should, making it an ineffective lookout position.

another problem with 1st person in arma 2 (not arma3 like in the video) is that to peek by leaning in first person often exposes your shoulders etc before you can even see anything. I wonder if its possible to tweak camaras and cone of vision without modding the game too much.
Although if ARMA3's stance could be modded into ARMA2 I'd say Disable 3rd person entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
16/03/2014

Vehicle spawn changes - Eberteby created 90 new vehicle spawn points last night and is adding more in future. I have increased the maximum number of vehicles and tweaked the min/max numbers for some vehicles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:00 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
17/03/2014

Loot table tweaks - Radios are now twice as common in barracks, they also have a chance to spawn at general military locations (firestations, military tents). I want to see people actually using these not hoarding them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:59 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
18/03/2014

Forgot to post this yesterday

Additional Vehicles and Spawns - Eby added another 70 additional spawn points yesterday. We also found a few vehicles I was not previously spawning and added spawn points for those too. The current max vehicle count is 130, I would rather find a solution to the "vehicle hoarding problem" we seem to be having than continually increase this number though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
you could probably limit the number of vehicles saved inside a flagpole based on the number of players listed in the flag?

Isn't the solution vehicle hoarding is breaking into a base and destroying them?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
RadX wrote:
you could probably limit the number of vehicles saved inside a flagpole based on the number of players listed in the flag?

Isn't the solution vehicle hoarding is breaking into a base and destroying them?

I've considered both limitting the number of vehicles per flag and changing/introducing new mechanics to make breaking into bases a little easier. Nothing more than a few ideas at the moment but its my main focus as far as basebuilding is concerned right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:33 am 

I'm not a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
RadX wrote:

I've considered both limitting the number of vehicles per flag and changing/introducing new mechanics to make breaking into bases a little easier. Nothing more than a few ideas at the moment but its my main focus as far as basebuilding is concerned right now.

Breaking into bases seems plenty easy considering the amount of time it takes to put up a defensible base vs the amount of time breaking into it takes, especially with players who can't afford to protect many vehicles to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 am 

IGN: Benuar
Current Life: 3.9 hrs
Time Alive: 274.8 hrs
Humanity: -37,112

Murders: 36
Bandit Kills: 89
Deaths: 235
Zombies Killed: 4,531

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
I feel like theres a big difference between the established clans and the "newbies".

Breaking in one of the big bases that have 4-5-6 walls around them is very hard even for big clans and downright impossible for newcomers while everybody can break into one of the smaller bases with a little luck.

This leads to bigger clans securing their bases more and more becouse they dont loose the recourses so easily while small groups and especially 1 person bases that dont play as activly can take days to just close the hole that the last breakin left...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:30 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Benuar wrote:
I feel like theres a big difference between the established clans and the "newbies".

Breaking in one of the big bases that have 4-5-6 walls around them is very hard even for big clans and downright impossible for newcomers while everybody can break into one of the smaller bases with a little luck.

This leads to bigger clans securing their bases more and more becouse they dont loose the recourses so easily while small groups and especially 1 person bases that dont play as activly can take days to just close the hole that the last breakin left...

Yup this is a part of the problem, the biggest bases are near impossible to break into and its mostly the smaller bases that are generally raided. If you have 2-3 layers people usually don't even bother trying.

Some people have taken the Basebuilding to huge extremes to secure their precious items (check out the AH base sometime). Which just turns the game into a hoarding simulator and the gameplay is crappy.

Some things I have been thinking about experimenting with at the moment

- Item limit per flag for maximum number of basebuilding items per flag
- Limit on number of cars per flag
- New mechanic to make it easier or at least less repetitive to break into a big base
- Limit on number of tents/items within a base
- Limit the types of places that tents/stashes etc can be built in.

Of course some of these established clans have been building their bases here for well over a year. The time they have invested into building it should be rewarded with a more secure base than that of a newbie. However the disparity between the two is too great at the moment imo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:22 pm 

I'm a bandit!
In real life it is much easier to keep something small (items you can carry on your person) secure than larger objects, like vehicles.

A mechanic or base-building object that could retain the current level of security for tents but require vehicles to be kept in an area that is perhaps limited to size (more than one could be built however) and provides a slightly "fairer" level of security could be ideal.

My brain is still wrestling with how this could work but my logic is this:

If I had a really valuable gun I would put it in a safe in my house. If I had a really nice car I would put it in a secure garage next to my house. I would never put it in my house next to my really nice safe with a really nice gun in it. Because that would be silly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next