Current Life: 9.8 hrs
Time Alive: 860.1 hrs
Humanity: -235,384

Murders: 152
Bandit Kills: 159
Deaths: 352
Zombies Killed: 4,720

I'm a bandit!
Hello and welcome to the basebuilding guide of ZeroSurvival.

First of all I would like to thank Rosska85, Daimyo21 and Seaweed for making this feature, they put a lot of time in this just to make our DayZ experience even better.

Alright, if you want to make a base, keep in mind that it will take you a long time ( depending if you want to build one alone or together with your friends ) to gather base building materials. I'll start off with a list of the base building items.

1) Building materials

From the left to the bottom, then from the right to the bottom.

- Tank trap kit -> very important item, you will need this a lot, industrial loot
- Wire Fencing kit -> important for sand bag structures, industrial loot
- Sandbags -> important for sand bag structures, military loot
- Wood -> chop it with an axe
- Scrap metal -> important for building in general, industrial loot
- Frag grenade -> only usefull for booby traps
- Scrap electronics -> important for an info panel, more info comming, industrial loot
- Crate-> industrial loot, important for roofs
- CamoNet -> can be found at chopper crashes
- Brick -> industrial loot
- String -> residential loot
- Duck Tape -> industrial loot

Where can I find these materials?

Best places to find these are in industrial cities like Cherno, Elektro, berezino but also the factory at polana or the factory at zelenogorsk are very good for finding these materials. The hangars at the airfields are also wealthy of some of these items. For finding string the red brick civilian building will be your friend.

Polana factory for example has a lot of industrial loot buildings :

2) Where am I not allowed to build a base?

You may not build a base in a city / a place where zombies spawn / a place where loot spawns / on a road. So for example building at these locations is forbidden. Bases must also be at least 1.5km from coastline, to avoid people building bases to snipe/kill fresh spawns (its happened before). Remember you must only use basebuilding objects for your base, you cannot try and fortify an existing building. It is also not recommend to build on a slope.

3) How to get started?

At first my advice is to find either a tent or a vehicle so you can store your materials. A tent can be found in castles / supermarkets / survivor camps and in deerstands.

3.1) An example of a tent stored with items so you can begin with the basebuilding

3.2) To open your build menu right click on your toolbox -

If you click on build recipes, a menu will open and you can see a list of how all the items look like and which materials you need to build something, just press previous or next page to go through the items.

The left number indicates what you need to have to build, and the right number in brackets shows what you have in your inventory. If your inventory base building items match the ones that are necessary the BUILD option will be brown and clickable

If it is white this either means you do not have all the materials in your inventory or you have too much materials.

3.4) If you are ready to build something you just press build and the item will appear in front of you.

Preview -> next phase
Restablish -> will bring back the item to its original position after you clicked build
Attach to ground -> if you are building on a small slope it will attach the item to the ground completely.

Here I show the first item you will need to build which is a flag. A flag means you are able to build to build in an area of 150 meters around it and other people can't. If you are building a base with your friends you will need to add your friends to the flag, you can do this by standing next to eachother at your flag. Continue by scrolling over his body and a text will pop up : get player UID

you write it down, scroll on your flag and click the button add player, this means your friend will be able to build items in the area of the flag aswell.

You are only allowed to be added up to two flags, if you click in the menu on show my flags and then open your map you can see where they are :

You have 2 options on how to move an object, you can either walk around and the object will move accordingly on how you walk or you can use your numpad to move the item around ( according to the table ).

So for example if you want to build an item on top of another one you will need to lift it in the air and you can do this by pressing 8.

If you then click preview you can walk around freely without the object moving to have a closer look if it is in the right position.

This is how your object will look like after a reset ( objects get spawned in at restart and sometimes shift a little, but after the first restart they will never shift again ).

If you then click finish build you will start to build which takes around 30 seconds for most items.

Just wait out the timer and you succesfully built your object. If you want to remove it you just walk up to it and click remove object, just make sure that you have enough space in your inventory, if you forgot just drop some items and the basebuilding items will appear in your inventory.

4) How can I break into bases?

There are 2 ways of breaking into bases and these are :
- Using a toolbox

You walk up to a base and scroll on one of the objects you want to delete

If you open your build menu you will see a number :

This means if someone tries to remove your object he will have a succes rate of 5 % of succesfully removing your object.

If you press remove object :

This means you will be doing an animation of 70 seconds to remove the wall, you will only have a 3 % change of succesfully removing the object and in 70 % of the tries you will lose your toolbox. So indeed if you want to break into a base you will need to gather quite a lot of toolboxes.

- Using an air vehicle

Flying to it and landing on top :

Time to destroy:

Or parachuting out of the air vehicle and landing inside :

5) Ways of entering your own base.

In general you have 2 optiions to enter your base. You can just remove a wall every time you visit your base and just rebuild it once you leave or you can use an info panel. This info panel will put walls down within a range of 100 meters.

You just use this device by scrolling over it.

If you activate it it will lower all the walls that are up and put the walls back up which were down.

Here I pressed operate concrete walls and it lowered the wall :

Now I operated it again and the wall went back up :

You can also lower your roofs if you park an air vehicle inside :

Using -> removing roof

Using -> roof is back

6) Booby traps

The booby trap is the only basebuilding object that does not needs to be in the 150 meters range of being placed next to your flag. This means you can build booby traps at other people bases. The system for building a booby trap is thesame as explained above, it just doesnt have the menu to move it around and it will always be placed just above the ground.

If you have a toolbox and you see a booby trap that is not yours you can try to crouch up to it and disarm it. This may fail though and then you will explode :)

7) A few screenshots of bases on the server :

Keep in mind that most of the owners of these bases have been playing for a long time on the server now and have been expanding since the moment they started. Every base starts small, just 4 containers in a square example but they expand over time. The start is hard but once your the main part of your base is done and you are able to park a vehicle inside along with some tents things start to go faster :)

If you are new to the server you might think it is impossible to break into bases but I can assure you it is not. As long as you have enough motivation and determination you'll be able to get in and destroy / steal the contents of someone's tents or the vehicles. Take care though because if they find out who it was your base might be the next one that gets camped / broken into.

If you have any further questions let me know so I can improve the guide so it covers all of your questions.

8) How to find out whose base is whose?

Best way to find out is to kill someone who is inside or just left it. It's part of the fun figuring out who owns a base, most people don't take long to figure it out.

A basic flag looks like :

Squads / people who have donated to the server ( there are no loadouts or other donator perks , this is actually a disavantage cause evreone can know whose base it is if they look at the flag) are allowed to send an image to seaweed and he will make your flag look like the image :

Post subject: Re: Basebuilding guide
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:35 pm 

IGN: nawrot
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 393.0 hrs
Humanity: -5,582

Murders: 10
Bandit Kills: 4
Deaths: 65
Zombies Killed: 2,287

I'm a bandit!
great job!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:40 am 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Thanks for the time you spent putting this together for everyone eby I have edited a little and will try and keep it up to date :)

There is a message in game repeating a url which points to this page, if you see someone asking basebuilding questions in game direct them to http://www.zerosurvival.net/basebuilding

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:49 pm 

IGN: [SFG] infected elvis
Current Life: 0.1 hrs
Time Alive: 29.6 hrs
Humanity: 3,250

Murders: 0
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 5
Zombies Killed: 263

I'm not a bandit!
lol nice base pictures i beat SFG base will be biggest again haha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
[SFG] infected elvis wrote:
lol nice base pictures i beat SFG base will be biggest again haha

The server isn't the same without the SFG base, Marv needs to come back to us!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:49 pm 

IGN: Christoph
Time Alive: 0.0 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Deaths: 0
Zombies Killed: 0

I'm not a bandit!
Well, i hope to one day see a picture of our base in there aswell...

Are there any expierences in relocating a flag? Like... build another one and delete the oldd one?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Christoph wrote:
Well, i hope to one day see a picture of our base in there aswell...

Are there any expierences in relocating a flag? Like... build another one and delete the oldd one?

Yeah you need to build a second flag then remove all the items, after all items are removed you can also remove the original flag. It won't let you remove a flag whilst there are still objects within 150m

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:31 pm 

IGN: Christoph
Humanity: 2,500

Deaths: 0

I'm not a bandit!
Thank you!

Holy flags Batman - I´m too lazy to rebuild the whole base... ^^

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:51 am 

IGN: ssoomm
Humanity: 0

Deaths: -1

I'm a bandit!
It's possible still build bases? Because of the 1.8.1 DayZ patch I said...