Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 514.3 hrs
Humanity: 16,565

Murders: 11
Bandit Kills: 4
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 2,550

I'm a hero!
Would it be possible to have both night and day on the server? Like maybe every 2 restarts(12 hours) it changes from day to night or vice versa, so half the time it's day, and half the time it's night? Or maybe even have it shift every re-start, so it changes from night to day or vice-versa every 6 hours? Not even sure that's possible, but just a thought. It would be EXTREMELY cool if this were able to be done.

Post subject: Re: Night/Day
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:03 pm 

No Gamer Profile
Seaweed is working on making every night "full moon" but there is a bug hes trying to fix before that happens. I like the idea of having the time zone switch up every few days so everyone gets to play in the day and night and not the same thing every single day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:44 am 

IGN: ARNIE | ToDaChoppaa
Current Life: 1.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1.8 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 0
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 0
Zombies Killed: 33

I'm not a bandit!
i have a suggestion on this but im not to sure on it due to the side affects.. i was thinking maybe setting the time so that the day last for example 5 hours and the night last for 2 but doing that it does not gradually turn to day its like a flash bang.. and then it twas day:L but yeah i think the majority of people like the all day server because the nights last way to damn long hahaa also with the different squads and different time zones you may only encounter a certain squad during night time witch personally i wouldnt mind abit of night and day so maybe something along the lines of 13 hour day 11 hour night so every day the time in witch it gets dark varies by 2 hours or so not sure if you could put this on a cycle or something like that

just a suggestion havent put much thought into it but it would be awsome to do something like that

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:43 pm 

No Gamer Profile
I like the idea of day/night swaps per restart. Its day for 3 or 6 hours, the server restarts and its night for 6 hours. Go 24 hours and flip the cycle.

Basically

6 hr day
6 hr night
6 hr day
6 hr night
(flip)
6 hr night
6 hr day
6 hr night
6 hr day
(flip)
6 hr day
Etc etc

The longest a day or night cycle could be is 12hrs (the cycle right at the flip). This way everyone in weird time zones has a chance to try day or night and no one is stuck on the same cycle every single day.

Anyone know what time it starts to get dark in DayZ time? We can set the night cycles to begin at like 8:30 pm. We will still get the smooth transition from day to night.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:00 pm 

IGN: Bigballs
Current Life: 0.8 hrs
Time Alive: 25.6 hrs

Murders: 1
Deaths: 12
Zombies Killed: 44

I'm not a bandit!
A 12 hour night cycle seems really long and would really suck if you implement the manly man starting loadout.

Assuming most people play at the same time most evenings after work, a Day/Day/Night cycle would work better IMO. If there are 4 server resets per day and you play in the evenings then you will be playing at night every 72 hours no matter what time zone you play in. It would look something like this:

1234 |1234 |1234 --> where 1234 = the server reset per day
DDND|DNDD|NDDN where D=day, N=night

So if you usually play after the second reset every evening you will play in the day on day 1, night on day 2, day on day 3, day on day 4 etc etc. Maybe another poll would help to see what people want.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm 

IGN: Birdie
Current Life: 1.4 hrs
Time Alive: 9.7 hrs
Humanity: 2,750

Deaths: 2
Zombies Killed: 4

I'm not a bandit!
I like the idea of 6 hour nights. The nights on most servers are way too long, especially if our new starting loadout is going to be nothing... If you die at night it would be really hard to gear up again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:56 pm 

IGN: admax88
Current Life: 2.4 hrs
Time Alive: 12.9 hrs
Humanity: 4,520

Deaths: 2
Zombies Killed: 56

I'm not a bandit!
+1 Bigballs suggestion.

I would really like to see night on the server as its adds a new element to gameplay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Day/Night is coming I know how to control it, the problem is cos we are hosted with dayz.st right now they don't give me access to the files I need to be able to get to to make the change to give the server a static date value which means lots of moonlight.

I have contacted them about this without much success other than "coming soon". However we will soon be moving to our own dedicated host so I will have full control over everything then. Day/Night will definitely come then if dayz.st don't pull their finger out sooner, the question is what time of year do we set it to.

It works by setting a static date for the server, we need a time of year that has a very short night (summer right?) and a full moon for maximum visibility. We also need night time to come at a time that is convenient for both our UK and US players as we have a lot of both right now. If we can find a time of year with only about 8 hours darkness it would be cool if it got dark about midnight GMT time or maybe even a little earlier....

edit: looks like there's a workaround I can use whilst we are still on dayz.st, we just need to decide what time it gets dark and we can test it http://opendayz.net/index.php?threads/h ... 165/page-2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:03 pm 

IGN: Bigballs
Current Life: 0.8 hrs
Time Alive: 25.6 hrs

Murders: 1
Deaths: 12
Zombies Killed: 44

I'm not a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
It works by setting a static date for the server, we need a time of year that has a very short night (summer right?) and a full moon for maximum visibility. We also need night time to come at a time that is convenient for both our UK and US players as we have a lot of both right now. If we can find a time of year with only about 8 hours darkness it would be cool if it got dark about midnight GMT time or maybe even a little earlier....

edit: looks like there's a workaround I can use whilst we are still on dayz.st, we just need to decide what time it gets dark and we can test it http://opendayz.net/index.php?threads/h ... 165/page-2

That sounds awesome! Problem is picking a time zone as it is going to be hard to keep everybody (US and UK) happy. If you are going to run the server in EST like the server name says then having it start to get dark at 9pm EST would mean people in the UK will get dark at 2am their time. Something like that seems to be the best plan for people who play in the evenings as either way they will get a chance to play in daylight. If you did it the other way around then people in US and Canada would get dark at 4pm and would have to play at night all the time after work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Bigballs wrote:
Seaweed wrote:

That sounds awesome! Problem is picking a time zone as it is going to be hard to keep everybody (US and UK) happy. If you are going to run the server in EST like the server name says then having it start to get dark at 9pm EST would mean people in the UK will get dark at 2am their time. Something like that seems to be the best plan for people who play in the evenings as either way they will get a chance to play in daylight. If you did it the other way around then people in US and Canada would get dark at 4pm and would have to play at night all the time after work.

I trialed the code earlier, unfortunately no dice on the full moon but I will be giving it another go just don't like bringing the server up and down to test so might not be for a few days.

It will definitely be late darkness for the UK guys so yeah around 1am maybe later, but I don't mind personally if I set it late enough it means we can still enjoy a little night play during the mornings too.