Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 355.8 hrs
Humanity: -201,151

Murders: 149
Bandit Kills: 89
Deaths: 157
Zombies Killed: 3,188

I'm a bandit!
This seems to be a highly debated topic in side chat 'Planes are overpowered', I think with increasing the plane count, not too many maybe 1 or 2 more would allow more people to test out the plane and then realise that it is not overpowered. This in my opinion is why people think they are overpowered because they see Omen whose very good and assume its the plane not the person. Its like saying any gun is overpowered when elite is using it (Don't tell him, his head is already huge).

Post subject: Re: MOAR PLANES!!
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:10 am 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Until I figure out the weird things going in with the SQL in the spawn script its a definite possibility at the moment any way :lol: There's a defined minimum of 0 for planes in the database, and a maximum of 1 (i lowered it from 2 to try and stop this bug) yet the last two nights it has still decided to spawn more than 2 planes.

I'm looking into the problem because it's affecting other vehicles too, I definitely want to get the numbers within the defined values. I will say this though, the last 2 nights we had some excellent experiences with planes. First we had an engagement with you guys from EFR, you strafed us with a plane, used gliding to keep eyes on us and generally made us crap ourselves on the ground. It was great fun to be on the receiving end of some plane placed combat and I want it to happen more!

Omen and elite also had an epic dog fight with keanesta this weekend which I think there will be a video of very soon. All of these things would not have happened if the spawn script had spawned the defined maximum of 2 planes.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:04 am 

IGN: Deathdude
Current Life: 0.1 hrs
Time Alive: 96.0 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 14
Bandit Kills: 7
Deaths: 26
Zombies Killed: 2,053

I'm not a bandit!
I would defiantly support more planes :) ive been wanting to attempt a dogfight with someone for ages :D

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:48 pm 

No Gamer Profile
This thread gets my seal of approval

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:50 pm 

IGN: Shortboy
Time Alive: 355.8 hrs
Humanity: -201,151

Murders: 149
Bandit Kills: 89
Deaths: 157
Zombies Killed: 3,188

I'm a bandit!
I want some epic dogfights, coupled with some insane aerobatics while the nubs watch from the coast :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:00 pm 

IGN: [JT]X25Keanesta
Time Alive: 113.7 hrs
Humanity: 778

Murders: 7
Bandit Kills: 6
Deaths: 65
Zombies Killed: 1,396

I'm not a bandit!
lol, shortboy, that is exactly what happened, we were basically all around the coast from elektro to guda bay, surprised nobody saw us though. I am also on board with the idea :D

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:07 am 

I'm not a bandit!
So will we expect more planes in the future? Should we take a poll?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:22 pm 

IGN: Sam Gatsby
Current Life: 1.2 hrs
Time Alive: 1.2 hrs
Humanity: 534

Murders: 1
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 0
Zombies Killed: 10

I have a Mt. Dew on me!
I'm not a bandit!
I really dont like the planes, they dont really fit in the setting (just my oppinion) and they are simply annoying...
are there already MI17s in the game? would be cool to see some real russian things on a map thats themed after an ex udssr country ...

best regards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:26 pm 

No Gamer Profile
konfuzius wrote:
I really dont like the planes, they dont really fit in the setting (just my oppinion) and they are simply annoying...
are there already MI17s in the game? would be cool to see some real russian things on a map thats themed after an ex udssr country ...

best regards

Aren't the biplanes common and used for crop dusting farm fields?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:17 pm 

I have a Mt. Dew on me!
I'm not a bandit!
today we had a nice little incident with a plane (read: we got fucking harrased by it)

today we were hanging around @ electro and sniped some guys/died a few times buisness as usual.
then a plane appeared. no big deal, just some annyoing douche trying to annoy us a bit. all good - didnt really hit us that much. then something happened: the plane landed. we (3 ppl) formed around it and started shooting it.
I had an 7.62 sniper rifle and wasnt able to prenetrate the galss from the pilot in any way. I hit from aprox 50m and it didnt leave a scratch. NOW THATS the thing that annyos me a lot with planes: how the hell should you take them down, if not while landing/taking off/flying straight at you and shooting the pilot?

if this remains the same and you leave planes in the game, please let rocket launchers spawn since there is no real way to kill them except with brute force, which is stupid since they are freaking old rusty planes that have for sure no bulletproof glass like an appache/blackhawk/seahawk and so on.

best regards sam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:05 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
The fact the damage value on planes is an ARMA bug is pretty well documented and debated on these forums already.

I've looked into mounted weapon alternatives or even incorporating them into basebuilding, and I still am.

Remember though that things like this take a lot of time to code and make work properly without being exploited. Most rocket launchers are also banned within dayz mod code and opening battle eye up to the ones that are not could be dangerous.

It's definitely possible to hit the pilot in a plane and kill them, I'm not going to say it is easy or bug free but that's not something I can magically just fix or I would have already. I didn't define the AN2 class the ARMA developers did, and the dayz mod developers chose not to modify it either. I think that's dumb but that doesn't mean I can fix it without having everyone download my own mod. So don't complain like it's something I have caused.

If you guys don't like the way planes are in dayz https://dev-heaven.net/projects/dayz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:20 pm 

No Gamer Profile
konfuzius wrote:
we (3 ppl) formed around it and started shooting it.
I had an 7.62 sniper rifle and wasnt able to prenetrate the galss from the pilot in any way. I hit from aprox 50m and it didnt leave a scratch. NOW THATS the thing that annyos me a lot with planes: how the hell should you take them down, if not while landing/taking off/flying straight at you and shooting the pilot?

let me direct you to this video: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=534

@ 4:50

notice how it only took 2 shots to kill the passenger who had 12,000 blood?

aim better. i have been struck in the plane COUNTLESS times and had to land and bandage.

im not saying youre a shit shot, im just saying you have to shoot through the windows to hit your target. the only guns that appear to pierce the hull (from what i have witnessed 1st hand) is the m249 SAW, MK_48 and the m240. All other guns seem to need you to shoot through the window.

now, I could have kept that information from you, but I like a challenge and want people to know how to counter the plane.

oh yeah, everyone exited the plane. if there isnt anyone in the plane, you kill them while theyre out of it....amirite?

poor mrZ died out side of it laying down providing suppressive fire :(

and right when he died, Eberteby was being shot at by the same 3 guys as he was running to the plane...aaaand he never got hit. made it to the plane and was able to get in, even with the retarded animation of entering the plane, all untouched...so..

p.s. the plane strafed and killed pete on the side of the barn and damn near blew up that uaz even after you tried to hide it in the barn too ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:12 pm 

I have a Mt. Dew on me!
I'm not a bandit!
I am a pretty decent sniper (I was the squad sniper of a 6 man squad for about half a year on a server like this). but when I hit you straight from 70 m trough the glass in the head and the shots only plops the glass its kinda weird :D well non the less, I really think planes dont fit on that map, escpecially given the totally bullshitty mechanics, you can land on a supershort strip like that? seriously :D? go try that in a decent flight sim or even games like battlefield 2 (never played 3)
lol yeah he made it trough somehow, it was a pretty confusing situation. was cool anyway but I still dont like the idea of a flying overlord with an mg that can only be countered by weapons that are pretty rare, and btw: the m249 saw uses 5.56 ammo = standard stanag rounds so I am not too sure if even he can destroy the body.

and no you didnt almost blew up our UAZ u only scratched the tires a bit (but didnt destroy them)
:D but still

good fight, best regards

PS: I will find you, and I will kill you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:07 pm 

No Gamer Profile
konfuzius wrote:
PS: I will find you, and I will kill you.

i hope you do...but i wont come here to the forums and complain about it

good times! see ya in game :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:17 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
konfuzius wrote:

best regards

You do realize that the MI-17 has bulletproof glass and will be equally as hard to shoot a pilot out of and it has 2 gunners each with a pkt that can shoot you from a more stable platform. It is very difficult to kill people with the mg on the plane. Also, you said they can only be taken down by rare weapons. There are very few planes, and even if seaweed added more it is very easy to go days without seeing a biplane, allowing you plenty of time to get yourself a good "rare" weapon that can take this plane down. Unless of course.... you hang around the coast for your entire survivor's life. If you ever get the chance to, get a plane and try to shoot someone with it, then you will see how difficult it is, let alone to fly it for most people. That is exactly what shortboy was trying to say with adding more planes, people will finally realize this and they have another reason to be shut up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:16 pm 

I have a Mt. Dew on me!
I'm not a bandit!
there is a civilian version of the MI-17 aswell ;) not everything has to be military...we are playing a survival mod in a military sim not the other way round

and im not complaining, I just think that planes are stupid, dont fit in the setting and ruin immersion.

I would very much love dayz without aircrafts/helicopters. its way to easy to spot vehicles/tents in the forests with them

I have never seen one but are 12.7s/50.cals on the server?

stay alive

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
konfuzius wrote:
there is a civilian version of the MI-17 aswell ;) not everything has to be military...we are playing a survival mod in a military sim not the other way round

and im not complaining, I just think that planes are stupid, dont fit in the setting and ruin immersion.

I would very much love dayz without aircrafts/helicopters. its way to easy to spot vehicles/tents in the forests with them

I have never seen one but are 12.7s/50.cals on the server?

stay alive

There's loads of helicopters and planes in ARMA, but you can't just pick and chose the ones you add to a vanilla private hive without client downloads.

There are no 50 cal snipers, we used to spawn the .338 lapua until the dayzmod guys banned it last patch.

I agree with your viewpoints, and it would make no difference to me if there were no air vehicles at all in the server, I agree they are out of place. It would totally kill the player count if I got rid of all air vehicles though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:58 pm 

I have a Mt. Dew on me!
I'm not a bandit!
you really think it would influence the player count? I hardly doubt that, since there are probably only 1 or 2 squads that use them anyway and I hope its not the main reason they stay on this server...