Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
I recently added MV22 Ospreys which parachute carepackages into the game. I had another idea for the use of this mechanic.

We have 1 of these ospreys fly in per server restart, I can give it quite a few random way points to go to before it reaches the one it's going to drop the package at. This way a lot of people will get a chance to know it's airbourne.

The contents of this carepackage would be a whole variety of basebuilding supplies. I can control the amount and percentages of what's dropped I'm not sure what would be a good amount at the moment.... I know some people think certain items like sandbags can be too hard to easily obtain. I think this could be a good way to give them a chance to get to that the loot.

However one thing I did think about is that a carepackage isn't that obvious once its been dropped and the smoke grenades have run out. What we could do instead is have an osprey crash, that way it's still burning on the ground and people camping have a better chance of catching people looting.

Post subject: Re: Just Had an Idea...
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:24 pm 

IGN: eberteby
Current Life: 9.8 hrs
Time Alive: 860.1 hrs
Humanity: -235,384

Murders: 152
Bandit Kills: 159
Deaths: 352
Zombies Killed: 4,720

I'm a bandit!
You mean including zombies? Think this would be a good addition :)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed

I'm a bandit!
Eberteby wrote:
You mean including zombies? Think this would be a good addition :)

Unfortunately the only crash site wreck model that can spawn zombies is the dayz default one, but a crashed osprey would still have smoke...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:25 pm 

I'm a bandit!
Mayby the packages should be rare and hard to spot, i just like the variation of having different things. We already have 2 chopper crash sites now which is great but a variation in the form of packages is always nice in my opinion:)

In my opinion it is allright if something is hard to spot, this would improve the idea of people to have to look for there things. Finding something that is hard to find is cool, cause you know you found something that is difficult to see. It is like spotting a ghillie far away in a tree is more fun/interesting compared to spot a survivor who is running across an open field.

A chopper with smoke is just too easy to spot in my opinion, I used to play on servers were there was no smoke and I actually liked that. Making things hard is cool sometimes^^

Just my opinion :)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Eberteby wrote:
Mayby the packages should be rare and hard to spot, i just like the variation of having different things. We already have 2 chopper crash sites now which is great but a variation in the form of packages is always nice in my opinion:)

In my opinion it is allright if something is hard to spot, this would improve the idea of people to have to look for there things. Finding something that is hard to find is cool, cause you know you found something that is difficult to see. It is like spotting a ghillie far away in a tree is more fun/interesting compared to spot a survivor who is running across an open field.

A chopper with smoke is just too easy to spot in my opinion, I used to play on servers were there was no smoke and I actually liked that. Making things hard is cool sometimes^^

Just my opinion :)

That's true, and once I turn off the regular static carepackages, it will always be obvious its the "basebuilding drop" if you spot one...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:28 pm 

I'm a bandit!
I do love the idea that they would provide base building materials cause without the smelting feature it would take just take too long for new groups to build a nice home for themselves :)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:29 pm 

IGN: Deathdude
Current Life: 0.1 hrs
Time Alive: 96.0 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 14
Bandit Kills: 7
Deaths: 26
Zombies Killed: 2,053

I'm not a bandit!
I think there should be a few different types of care packages, it always being base building materials would get boring after a while (not to mention you would just ignore it unless you were in a vehicle with space avaliable) Say occasionally have rare ammunition types in an air drop (mp5 sd ammo for example, i see mp5 sd's and never pick them up cause the ammo is so damn rare)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Deathdude wrote:
I think there should be a few different types of care packages, it always being base building materials would get boring after a while (not to mention you would just ignore it unless you were in a vehicle with space avaliable) Say occasionally have rare ammunition types in an air drop (mp5 sd ammo for example, i see mp5 sd's and never pick them up cause the ammo is so damn rare)

Yeah I will definitely add variety to the loot, I'm thinking predominantly basebuilding items but also some of the more desirable "rare" items with a low chance to spawn too. Things like ghillie suits or soldier skins, gps, nvg's rare ammo types like mk17, fal, svd, stanag sd and maybe the odd m9 silenced pistol too. There will of course be some more generic items to make sure its not just purely really rare items + basebuilding supplies....

The idea being the average package would be say 60% building supplies 30% rare ammo types/generic loot with maybe 1 or two of the "rare" desirable items.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:56 pm 

I'm a bandit!
Guess these loottables are only able after new patch?

Looking forward to these new features though :) Still need to find a magical crash^^