Login |  Register |  FAQ

Steam Group

Teamspeak Server

Server Statistics

Facebook Page

Should ACRE Be Enabled and Would You Use It?
Yes 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
Yes 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 7 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 24

ACRE Mod Poll

Post subject: ACRE
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:33 pm 

IGN: Timmymachine109
Current Life: 0.5 hrs
Time Alive: 35.0 hrs
Humanity: 2,875

Murders: 7
Bandit Kills: 5
Deaths: 24
Zombies Killed: 747

I'm not a bandit!
Hey there,

I've been playing ACE/ACRE mods since Christmas and it is amazing fun to use the radios. Also means people have to be careful with what they say because you can hear people close by!! Just wondering if it would be easy to add the ACRE radio mod to the server?? I've definitely seen it before on videos of DayZ but not sure how easy it would be to add to the server(Mod incompatibilities etc). It's possible to force people to be connected to ACRE before they play, which would mean no one could cheat and hear everyone's conversations :) Just a suggestion anyways :)

Post subject: Re: ACRE
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:47 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Timmymachine109 wrote:
Hey there,

I've been playing ACE/ACRE mods since Christmas and it is amazing fun to use the radios. Also means people have to be careful with what they say because you can hear people close by!! Just wondering if it would be easy to add the ACRE radio mod to the server?? I've definitely seen it before on videos of DayZ but not sure how easy it would be to add to the server(Mod incompatibilities etc). It's possible to force people to be connected to ACRE before they play, which would mean no one could cheat and hear everyone's conversations :) Just a suggestion anyways :)

I've trialled it and I love it, however my worry with it is that I couldn't ever kick anyone who doesn't use ACRE from the server as it would hurt signups. Without ACRE anyone in the TS channel would hear everyone elses chat leaving it open to abuse.

I am aware some servers have set up automated solutions to this to kick clients not running ACRE from the channel dependant on how easily this can be setup it could be a solution. I would never enforce ACRE as a mandatory mod, nor any mod for that matter right now though purely because it would hurt player counts.

It's a little work on my part just to add some radios to the loot pool, and if the player base really wants to see it and use it I will gladly make it happen. Make a poll on the forums :)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
You can have an ACRE channel that is passworded...there is a function that comes with ACRE that allows you to switch channels on teamspeak, so anyone connected to ACRE could get auto moved into a separate channel:

if (acre_sys_core_ts3id != -1) then //acre_sys_core_ts3id is a variable for the teamspeak id, if you aren't connected to ACRE it is -1
{
[_channelIDHere, "password for channel here"] call acre_api_fnc_joinChannel;
};

Put that somewhere in the onPlayerConnected script?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:01 am 

I'm not a bandit!
How do I make a poll for this? I'm probably being an idiot but I can't find anything on the create post thing!

Post subject: ACRE Mod Poll
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:04 am 

I'm not a bandit!
Soooooo who would like to see ACRE mod added to ZS??

ACRE mod is a radio simulator for ArmA that comes with 5 different radios. Each radio has realistic characteristics so some are short range and some can transmit over the map. Radio transmissions are effected by hills, buildings and other objects. The mod uses teamspeak to communicate over the radio as well as direct chat so if you are talking on the radio and other people nearby are not on the radio channel they can still hear you talking. Would mean people would need to be very careful when communicating!!

I think this would add a lot of fun and tense moments in ZS!!! What you think?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:46 am 

I'm not a bandit!
ACRE deletes the base radio from your backpack and then gives you another. In order to do this you would need to find the base class name before saving it to the database. The API isn't working for me at the moment otherwise I'd try to write up code to do it!! I know there is a way of returning an array of radios held by the player and a way of returning the base class (sort of typeOf command) so you could use these to get the base classes. Not sure how dayz uploads to a server though so not sure how you would work this in!!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:46 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Nice I didn't know you could kick people from the channel if they didn't have ACRE running.

The coding side of things I can definitely figure out, adding the new radio classes to the loot etc is easy. However I know ACRE requires the CBA addons and last time I tried these server side it broke the basebuilding. I would love the idea of a server using ACRE and the only reason I haven't pursued it before is that it requires the majority of the server to participate. That is asking a lot of big squads etc and I don't want to hurt sign ups, lets see how much interest there is from people and I'll do some playing around with the mod in our test server. We definitely want to use ACRE in our ARMA 2 sessions in future, everyone from ZS is always invited to join in on these too if they want to try the mod....

Post subject: Re: ACRE Mod Poll
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
I merged your threads to try and keep all the discussion in one place :)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:57 am 

I'm not a bandit!
Amazing thanks :) Was I being idiot about not being able to make a poll?? P.S. everyone say yes to ACRE!!! For the events thing ACE and ACRE together makes for a really good experience!! I've made a few missions for the other group I play with which you could use if you want...They are for 40 people though so would have to alter the enemy levels if less people play!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:59 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Timmymachine109 wrote:
Amazing thanks :) Was I being idiot about not being able to make a poll?? P.S. everyone say yes to ACRE!!! For the events thing ACE and ACRE together makes for a really good experience!! I've made a few missions for the other group I play with which you could use if you want...They are for 40 people though so would have to alter the enemy levels if less people play!

Yeah man send me any ARMA 2 missions you have that are fun, we've only been getting into it recently and I've just been grabbing random ones from arma holic. I can run an ARMA 2 server any time (indeed I have a whole box sitting doing nothing until mid June so we could even have a permanent Arma 2 server).

We have yet to try ACRE + ACE because I didn't get missions any ace missions when I originally grabbed a load. When we play theres usually 5-10 of us or more just depends who's in teamspeak and wants to join in at the time.

I might not have the forum setup correctly so users have poll permissions, it's down the bottom when you create a thread if you have the permissions, will check later...

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:38 pm 

IGN: ownedtoast
Current Life: 1.9 hrs
Time Alive: 242.2 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 24
Bandit Kills: 9
Deaths: 103
Zombies Killed: 3,304

I'm not a bandit!
I use ACRE + ACE in the MilSim group I joined and I can't imagine playing Arma2 without them. Don't know how well ACRE would fit in with DayZ, can't you just change channels on the radios and listen in on others squads comms?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:02 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
Yeah you can, which is why it would be good...But there are 100 channels on the bigger radios and you can change the frequencies too...The smaller 343 only has a set number of channels though but they would be the easier ones to find :)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Unless I enforced it server wide squads not using ACRE would still potentially have an advantage though :/

I think SNM! would have no issues using it though.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
ownedtoast wrote:
I use ACRE + ACE in the MilSim group I joined and I can't imagine playing Arma2 without them. Don't know how well ACRE would fit in with DayZ, can't you just change channels on the radios and listen in on others squads comms?

You should join us on teamspeak on sunday night to play some missions man!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:32 pm 

IGN: ownedtoast
Current Life: 1.9 hrs
Time Alive: 242.2 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 24
Bandit Kills: 9
Deaths: 103
Zombies Killed: 3,304

I'm not a bandit!
Actually, the more I think about it the more I like the idea, I think it would really add to the immersion.

Imagine the thrill of finding a radio, toggling through the channels and then suddenly hearing voices.. Squads could use military style comms while eavesdroppers try to decode messages. Players could benefit from other features of ACRE by shouting or whispering 'hey, I'm friendly' to nearby players without fumbling the keyboard to set direct chat or spamming side.

Seaweed wrote:
ownedtoast wrote:

You should join us on teamspeak on sunday night to play some missions man!

I play with the milsim guy's from 8-11pm on Sunday's, but I'm still up for any other times.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:41 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
Exactly...also you'd have to be really careful when talking because other people could hear you!! I think it would be awesome fun!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:25 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
Boooooooooooooo! Stop voting no you horrible people :P :P