Current Life: 0.7 hrs
Time Alive: 33.5 hrs
Humanity: -11,792

Murders: 13
Bandit Kills: 4
Deaths: 18
Zombies Killed: 154

I'm a bandit!
You guys adding a chopper in? I heard there is UAV little bird (Sliver) in the server but I was thinking perhaps you could add the armed variant in as they are weak as hell. Or any heli really. :)

Post subject: Re: Adding choppers?
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:20 pm 

IGN: AdjustedJunk
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 514.3 hrs
Humanity: 16,565

Murders: 11
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 2,550

I'm a hero!
This has been brought up before and has been shot down every time*giggles*. Any chopper with guns is too OP.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Actually a Huey is on the cards right now, just want to see the player count to continue picking up a little more....

The armed little bird is a banned class in vanilla chernarus, we spawn the 6 man one.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:37 pm 

IGN: Lt. Shan Drew
Current Life: 3.1 hrs
Time Alive: 53.5 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 0
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 11
Zombies Killed: 269

I'm not a bandit!
SUV camo pl0x.

http://i.imgur.com/VAi0VRc.jpg

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:43 pm 

No Gamer Profile
i will FUCK UP every Huey I see....those damn things have no place in dayz...lol just my opinion. it will be fun to shoot down tho, i will admit that.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
shandrew82 wrote:

Looked into it briefly, mission file starts to get real big though but I'll probably play some more at some point. I wanted to put my face on the billboards too ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:34 pm 

IGN: Elektro Elmo

I'm a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
Actually a Huey is on the cards right now, just want to see the player count to continue picking up a little more....

The armed little bird is a banned class in vanilla chernarus, we spawn the 6 man one.

Alright, that's cool. As long as it's replaced with something a bit more armoured than a little bird. Perhaps the default UH60 or the Huey, like you said.

AdjustedJunk wrote:
This has been brought up before and has been shot down every time*giggles*. Any chopper with guns is too OP.

Weapons on some aircraft are balanced. Very light armoured aircraft with weapons like the AH-6J is balanced because of how weak and exposed you are in it. I've shot one down before with a ak74u. It's not very difficult. Try it in editor. Most servers I've been on remove the rockets obviously. UH60 is balanced too. It may have more armour and two side mini guns but it requires good coordination from the pilot and crew and you need to fly below 500 alt to actually hit any infantry. You will also being flying slow for crew gunners so it will be prey for snipers and machine gunners. The An-2 has strong armour and a machine gun anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:44 pm 

IGN: [JT]X25Keanesta
Time Alive: 113.7 hrs
Humanity: 778

Murders: 7
Bandit Kills: 6
Deaths: 65
Zombies Killed: 1,396

I'm not a bandit!
Just thought that you could add a UH-60 MEV this version of the blackhawk looks cool, goes fast, holds a lot of people, but it has no guns on it. This seems like a great helicopter to add in, and maybe, if people aren't annoyed (saying its OP), then a pilot operated m249 saw could be added to the front like the biplanes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:26 pm 

No Gamer Profile
x25keanesta wrote:
Just thought that you could add a UH-60 MEV this version of the blackhawk looks cool, goes fast, holds a lot of people, but it has no guns on it. This seems like a great helicopter to add in, and maybe, if people aren't annoyed (saying its OP), then a pilot operated m249 saw could be added to the front like the biplanes.

is this possible? would be pretty bad ass. maybe not the mounted gun part, for the simple fact that it can be used to fly over any base and hover and rape all vehicles. whereas the biplane requires you to make nose dives to get 3 seconds of fire time on anything on the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm 

IGN: TooHighToFly
Time Alive: 452.6 hrs
Humanity: -134,510

Murders: 92
Bandit Kills: 68
Deaths: 127
Zombies Killed: 2,957

I'm a bandit!
I would like to see another type of heli on the server but anything that can hover and shoot things is going a bit far in my eyes. This UH-60 MEV sounds like it could be a nice addition.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 pm 

I'm a bandit!
I think only issue with armed choppers is they can hover over players bases and destroy vehicles inside. Not sure how you could stop this unless putting in a roof building option or make it a bannable offence.

Still think that it would be more balanced to fight a UH-60 armed chopper than a plane. They are a lot more Vulnerable than bi-planes. You can fly low and be shot at and not be harmed in a bi-plane. It's unrealistic. Along with the fact you can spot players pretty easily due to the environment and landscape not rendering. I think they should be weakened or swapped out for a chopper. My opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Williamz101 wrote:
I think only issue with armed choppers is they can hover over players bases and destroy vehicles inside. Not sure how you could stop this unless putting in a roof building option or make it a bannable offence.

Still think that it would be more balanced to fight a UH-60 armed chopper than a plane. They are a lot more Vulnerable than bi-planes. You can fly low and be shot at and not be harmed in a bi-plane. It's unrealistic. Along with the fact you can spot players pretty easily due to the environment and landscape not rendering. I think they should be weakened or swapped out for a chopper. My opinion.

I agree with the UH60 from the testing I've been doing, I want to try and swap the guns for 249 SAW's still though but its looking like the likely candidate.

I see no problem with an armed chopper as we have armed planes, but yes being able to hover over every camp and decimate them is the reason we got rid of them a long time ago. I might try mounting a SAW on a little bird like we have on the plane now purely because it would require more skill to aim with the pilot doing it. I have been looking into basebuilding changes too at the minute also.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:10 pm 

I'm a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
I agree with the UH60 from the testing I've been doing, I want to try and swap the guns for 249 SAW's still though but its looking like the likely candidate.

I see no problem with an armed chopper as we have armed planes, but yes being able to hover over every camp and decimate them is the reason we got rid of them a long time ago. I might try mounting a SAW on a little bird like we have on the plane now purely because it would require more skill to aim with the pilot doing it. I have been looking into basebuilding changes too at the minute also.

I agree with this although if your going with the little bird option I think it would be more balanced to keep the miniguns on because of how weak it is.

AH-6J = Light armour + Minigun
An-2 = Heavy armour + 249 SAW

There also be more base raids because of how small it is. Landing inside bases. Obviously depending on base size. With a UH 60 you wouldn't be able to land in most bases and if someone parachuted in they wouldn't be able to get out. Ammunition would also have to be spent wisely on the AH-6J.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Williamz101 wrote:
Seaweed wrote:

I agree with this although if your going with the little bird option I think it would be more balanced to keep the miniguns on because of how weak it is.

AH-6J = Light armour + Minigun
An-2 = Heavy armour + 249 SAW

There also be more base raids because of how small it is. Landing inside bases. Obviously depending on base size. With a UH 60 you wouldn't be able to land in most bases and if someone parachuted in they wouldn't be able to get out. Ammunition would also have to be spent wisely on the AH-6J.

Yeah unfortunately that vehicle class + the gun is banned on vanilla chernarus, the classes which aren't without client downloads are somewhat limited...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:59 am 

IGN: [JT]X25Keanesta
Time Alive: 113.7 hrs
Humanity: 778

Murders: 7
Bandit Kills: 6
Deaths: 65
Zombies Killed: 1,396

I'm not a bandit!
Ya, I was talking about having a gun on the nose of the UH-60 that the pilot has to aim and shoot, therefore making it a bit less OP and somewhat covering the whole, decimate a base while hovering thing. I wasn't thinking of the UH-60's with the guns however that would be cool, but OP I admit. Making decimation of bases while hovering in an armed chopper a bannable offence would be a pain i can imagine for seaweed to try to track who did it or if they did it, when somebody logs on to an empty base they will surely blame the heli and it will be difficult for seaweed to distinguish between whether it was blown up by a set of grenades or by the heli. Also, you more than likely already know this but I am just putting this out there, there is a UH-60 version with m240 side gunners (MH-60S) and a version with miniguns (UH-60 vanilla) then of course the unarmed transport version (UH-60 MEV). I love the blackhawk, and its variants because of their agility, speed, and power. I would love to see them on the server in any form, m240, minigun, nose mounted m249, or unarmed. Thanks for the input guys!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:18 pm 

IGN: Sam Gatsby
Current Life: 1.2 hrs
Time Alive: 1.2 hrs
Humanity: 534

Murders: 1
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 0
Zombies Killed: 10

I have a Mt. Dew on me!
I'm not a bandit!
seriously? miniguns and armored helicopters? please dont ruin the server.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
konfuzius wrote:

If it is a gun it won't be anything higher calibre than a 249, and that's mostly to counter the people complaining about the planes having a gun on them. It's REALLY tough to blow a vehicle up with 5.56 rounds.

Personally I still want to see the UH60 with its guns disabled or swapped, I love how long it takes to repair and get that thing airworthy all the other choppers seem to have bugged repair mechanics on spawn. There's a lot of factors involved though I certainly can't just pick and chose choppers from ARMA at my own whim, and if I could it certainly wouldn't be one with miniguns.

As much as I love flying choppers in ARMA 2 it's never been what DayZ is about for me anyway, and honestly I've always thought that level of military hardware especially with gunners was totally out of place in the environment. Which is exactly why we have always spawned 1 or less choppers on here. If I do bring in any kind of chopper it certainly won't be at the 100% spawn probability that private hives these days all use (the dayz default for the huey originally had it spawn once up to every 2 weeks much similar to the little bird we have now).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:20 pm 

No Gamer Profile
i think any gun on any chopper is just asking for base rape. all you have to do is hover, tilt the chopper back a little to get some backward momentum, tip it forward and destroy anything in front of you on the ground. 20m above your target. you can clear an entire camp, vehicles and tents, in less then a minute.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:09 pm 

I'm a bandit!
konfuzius wrote:

Armoured choppers? :? I don't think that really came a cross BI mind when they was designing them. They all take small arms fire pretty dangerously.

Seaweed wrote:
Yeah unfortunately that vehicle class + the gun is banned on vanilla chernarus, the classes which aren't without client downloads are somewhat limited...

Seaweed wrote:
If it is a gun it won't be anything higher calibre than a 249, and that's mostly to counter the people complaining about the planes having a gun on them. It's REALLY tough to blow a vehicle up with 5.56 rounds.

Personally I still want to see the UH60 with its guns disabled or swapped, I love how long it takes to repair and get that thing airworthy all the other choppers seem to have bugged repair mechanics on spawn. There's a lot of factors involved though I certainly can't just pick and chose choppers from ARMA at my own whim, and if I could it certainly wouldn't be one with miniguns.

As much as I love flying choppers in ARMA 2 it's never been what DayZ is about for me anyway, and honestly I've always thought that level of military hardware especially with gunners was totally out of place in the environment. Which is exactly why we have always spawned 1 or less choppers on here. If I do bring in any kind of chopper it certainly won't be at the 100% spawn probability that private hives these days all use (the dayz default for the huey originally had it spawn once up to every 2 weeks much similar to the little bird we have now).

Forgot about that then. To be honest, probably would be wiser to stick with the edited UH60 then. But like Omen said there is a chance of base rape. I think most people on the server play fairly (apart from those that go to the coast to kill bambies for K/D :lol: ) and can be trusted not to base rape with it. Make it rule. Other than that you could make some changes to base building. Include a roof or give the option to build off the ground to make custom roofs using containers.

As far chopper spawning, 2 weeks seems very extreme. Seems a bit unrealistic with all the care packages flying in and dropping goods as well. I think if it gets destroyed it should have a 48 hour max spawn cycle. It should spawn close between the South and East coasts and as far as Novy. Just to give bambies a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:24 pm 

IGN: TooHighToFly
Time Alive: 452.6 hrs
Humanity: -134,510

Murders: 92
Bandit Kills: 68
Deaths: 127
Zombies Killed: 2,957

I'm a bandit!
Williamz101 wrote:
As far chopper spawning, 2 weeks seems very extreme. Seems a bit unrealistic with all the care packages flying in and dropping goods as well. I think if it gets destroyed it should have a 48 hour max spawn cycle. It should spawn close between the South and East coasts and as far as Novy. Just to give bambies a chance.

I think any heli's should remain rare, they are still very strong for baseraiding even without guns and people will get more excited from finding one and getting it working.

I for one would want it to spawn away from the coasts and further north, preferably with a percentage chance to spawn in custom locations that are harder to find. "Bambies" don't need helicopters.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:29 pm 

No Gamer Profile
planes were removed form balota because of bambies...u dont want them destroying the choppers too. ive only seen cartell and mad camping cities killing fresh spawns. not saying no one else does it, but those are who i have seen do it multiple times. they shouldnt get rewarded with a chopper spawn near by.... go hunt for them up north where the real threats are :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:57 pm 

I'm a bandit!
tomisafish wrote:
I for one would want it to spawn away from the coasts and further north, preferably with a percentage chance to spawn in custom locations that are harder to find. "Bambies" don't need helicopters.

SNM! Omen wrote:
planes were removed form balota because of bambies...u dont want them destroying the choppers too. ive only seen cartell and mad camping cities killing fresh spawns. not saying no one else does it, but those are who i have seen do it multiple times. they shouldnt get rewarded with a chopper spawn near by.... go hunt for them up north where the real threats are :)

What I said was "It should spawn close between the South and East coasts and as far as Novy." Not the coast. Basically a tiny bit south and east of the center of the map. Vyshnoye is a good example. I'm pretty sure the plane spawns in NW of the map. It would be pretty silly to have the chopper spawn there too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:03 pm 

No Gamer Profile
Williamz101 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the plane spawns in NW of the map. It would be pretty silly to have the chopper spawn there too.

over 20 spawn points for planes.. from just south of Bor, to Devils Castle to Berizino. Seaweed added a lot of points. I have found maybe 11 of them so far so there may be some even more south than Bor, who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 pm 

IGN: Deathdude
Current Life: 0.1 hrs
Time Alive: 96.0 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 14
Bandit Kills: 7
Deaths: 26
Zombies Killed: 2,053

I'm not a bandit!
yes there is one even more south then bor :) (at least if im remembering map positioning properly anyway)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 pm 

No Gamer Profile
Deathdude wrote:
yes there is one even more south then bor :) (at least if im remembering map positioning properly anyway)

lol yup forgot about that. yeah, there is a plane spawn that is more south than any vanilla chopper spawn point