Street Lights 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Street Lights 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Booby Traps 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Booby Traps 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No More Mods! 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
No More Mods! 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 38

What Mod Shall I Install Next?

Post subject: What Mod Shall I Install Next?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
I've got things reasonably stable under 1.7.7.1 now and am looking at which mod I will try out next in my test environment.

I thought I would let you guys vote on which mod I try out first, this doesn't definitely mean it will make it to the main server. First I will need to customize code and test things, not to mention check that the existing mods such as basebuilding don't cause issues.

Here's the ones I've recently been looking at

AI Missions: Whilst I don't think AI should feature in DayZ in any way, I appreciate that when the server is quiet (< 10 people online) people get bored. It helps us a lot in gaining new members once we have more than 10 players online, so its important the people who play when its quiet don't leave. My thinking is that a feature like this would give those players more things to do, and also focus PVP on set areas.

The missions spawn at random places on the map and use AI soldiers, the reward for the missions much like in wasteland is a weapons crate of goodies...

You can find more info and a list of mission types here - https://github.com/lazyink/DayZ-Missions

Dogs
Fredrich has been wanting to see dogs in the server for a long time. What do other players think? I know a fair few servers ran the dogs mod in the past, I heard there are a lot of bugs and issues with it though. Anyone tried them?

I believe the mod uses the half finished dog code rocket abandoned for the mod, you can find dogs randomly spawning in certain towns and tame them using meat. They are supposed to follow you or track things I think. More info here - http://opendayz.net/threads/dayz-missio ... pts.12116/

Street Lights
Street lights will be lit up after it gets dark, I believe any street lamp object in chernarus should be affected. There is another mod I used to run on the server also to turn house lighting on also which could alternately be re-installed or run alongside the or house lights... - http://opendayz.net/threads/dayz-street-lights.9112/

Booby Traps
Similar to the traps we can build now these can be crafted and explode killing players. I imagine they will be affected by the same issues as bear traps and the existing traps we have though. The issue is that the player who built the trap must be online for it to explode. New players logging in after a trap is built will also not be able to trigger it (i think but don't know for sure till I test) - http://opendayz.net/threads/release-booby-trap.12082/

Post subject: Re: What Mod Shall I Install Next?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:27 pm 

IGN: [SFG] infected elvis
Current Life: 0.1 hrs
Time Alive: 29.6 hrs
Humanity: 3,250

Murders: 0
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 5
Zombies Killed: 263

I'm not a bandit!
dogs a just waiting time

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
[SFG] infected elvis wrote:
dogs a just waiting time

?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:53 pm 

No Gamer Profile
missions. i jump on when everyone is off to bed, so i leave too and go play another server. this would actually give me something to do and maybe allow me to run into someone when there are fewer people online.

this might even bring a lot of people on in the day and make for some rather interesting engagements knowing you might find non-ai players at a certain location.

as for realism, this could be realistic. say you find a radio and overhear someone mention a supply truck making its way to a certain town. i dont think it would break immersion at all.

example: walking dead tv series, the governor and his crew ambushed the military, who had broken down on the side of the road, for their weapons. very feasible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:29 pm 

No Gamer Profile
[SFG] infected elvis wrote:
dogs a just waiting time

here is a dog for your birthday

happy birthday

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
SNM! Omen wrote:
missions. i jump on when everyone is off to bed, so i leave too and go play another server. this would actually give me something to do and maybe allow me to run into someone when there are fewer people online.

this might even bring a lot of people on in the day and make for some rather interesting engagements knowing you might find non-ai players at a certain location.

as for realism, this could be realistic. say you find a radio and overhear someone mention a supply truck making its way to a certain town. i dont think it would break immersion at all.

example: walking dead tv series, the governor and his crew ambushed the military, who had broken down on the side of the road, for their weapons. very feasible.

Just playing around with the missions on the test server atm, they are well made and fun and theres room for customization but the amount of loot they give out feels way too OP for a traditional dayz server. I am thinking about throwing up a second server using the mod though its really fun....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:38 pm 

IGN: ConnorGriffiths
Current Life: 9.3 hrs
Time Alive: 315.0 hrs
Humanity: -384,739

Murders: 200
Bandit Kills: 102
Deaths: 168
Zombies Killed: 3,105

I'm a bandit!
I think that Missions will help the server the most, but i'd like to see some streetlights for when it does get dark, so i feel that both of these would be nice to have on the server.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:15 am 

IGN: TooHighToFly
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 452.6 hrs
Humanity: -134,510

Murders: 92
Bandit Kills: 68
Deaths: 127
Zombies Killed: 2,957

I'm a bandit!
are you able to alter the regularity for the objectives and the loot tables for the crates?
That way they could be something that only happens a couple of times an hour, maybe less, a bit like a crash site.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:02 pm 

No Gamer Profile
Played some missions last night. Loved it. Connor cheated by shooting me in my head while I was trying to kill him and tom. So unfair.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:25 am 

No Gamer Profile
Hey, i am voting for missions. But if one day, dogs are stable, i think it s an good idea to add us.
See you guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:38 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
I have thrown a second server up running the AI missions in their vanilla form.

We had a play around with them this weekend and they definitely present some interesting gameplay prospects. However I would not be happy running them on the main server in their existing form for a few reasons

- There are too many missions, they spawn very frequently and whilst only the latest 2 are shown on the map old unfinished missions seem to still persist
- They give out WAY too much loot. Each mission has a minimum of 8 AI bandits all of which are pretty heavily geared. Once you kill these and finish the mission you get access to weapons crates, which contain so many weapons and items traditional dayz looting seems pointless.
- The AI can be really derpy. I maxed some aspects of their "skill" as high as I could, they can still be pretty easily dispatched from distance.

Let me know what you guys think, 144.76.72.235:3374 is the server IP I'll leave it up and hopefully add some changes to the mission mod code this week to try and improve the above 3 points.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:34 pm 

No Gamer Profile
1. what variables do we have control over?

2. can you make the bodies disappear on death?

3. can you limit the loot in the ammo boxes? (still need to make it worth going for)

4. can you limit the frequency of the missions? or only have 2 missions going at a time, and no new ones will appear until the current ones are completed?

the AI i encountered posed some threat and I was actually killed by one group.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:49 pm 

IGN: ConnorGriffiths
Current Life: 9.3 hrs
Time Alive: 315.0 hrs
Humanity: -384,739

Murders: 200
Bandit Kills: 102
Deaths: 168
Zombies Killed: 3,105

I'm a bandit!
SNM! Omen wrote:
Played some missions last night. Loved it. Connor cheated by shooting me in my head while I was trying to kill him and tom. So unfair.

Haha, just look behind me, see you in a bush and tom pretty much walking past you :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:59 am 

IGN: limbless_torso
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 138.7 hrs
Humanity: -53,694

Murders: 57
Bandit Kills: 17
Deaths: 83
Zombies Killed: 1,130

I'm a bandit!
cant you just recode the melee to be more like chivalry already?!?!?!? and we need taunts and laughing K thnx bai o/