Current Life: 1.6 hrs
Time Alive: 28.3 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 1
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 5
Zombies Killed: 128

I'm not a bandit!
Its just really a consensus to find out what other players think regarding the availability of loot.

I remember starting to play when 1.7.7/.1 was realeased and it really felt more like a really difficult survival game, which is what DayZ is all about.

Now on here, gearing up is a lot easier. I would really love to see loot spawns restored back to their original point. This makes even a double barrel shotgun with ammo seem like a real find. More like a proper survival game. Even finding a hatchet makes me feel Bo$$.

I completely agree some things needed tweaked; zombie infection rate (only slightly!!) and also antibiotic spawn rates.

Myself i do tend to play on vanilla servers just for the difficulty.

I know that everyones taste in DayZ is different, but this is mine, and i would like to hear from others.

Seaweed, I know you have put a lot of time into finding the best balance possible and its similarly also impossible to please everyone, but its just my thoughts on this and I certainly would not wish to cause offence nor to undermine your hard work. I am not thankless, I think the conditions you have created here to allow such an awesome community to build is something rare in the world of DayZ (that i personally have found) and I would hope the community continues to grow once SA arrives.

Its just my opinion, and I would love to hear back from the other regulars.

Post subject: Re: Lootin is too easy?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:43 pm 

IGN: [SFG] GeordieMarv
Current Life: 0.6 hrs
Time Alive: 33.2 hrs

Murders: 3
Bandit Kills: 1
Deaths: 10
Zombies Killed: 130

I'm not a bandit!
I have to say I agree totally.

One of the reasons i'm not playing on here as much as I used too is, it's just a bit too easy now.
I was against the self bloodbagging when that first came about, now we can heal at field hospitals too. Or I could last time I was near one! That coupled with loot being too common and more Antibiotics, I just find it extremely easy to survive and find stuff.

I also appreciate the work you have done Seaweed. I guess I just think the whole survival experience has been dumbed down a bit too much for my liking. Which is why I am finding myself playing on unedited 1.7.7.1 servers more often than on zero survival.

:cry:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:24 pm 

IGN: TooHighToFly
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 452.6 hrs
Humanity: -134,510

Murders: 92
Bandit Kills: 68
Deaths: 127
Zombies Killed: 2,957

I'm a bandit!
Food and drink needs to be much, much rarer imo. Same for matches.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:13 am 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
DayZ loot spawn bias = 67%
Our loot spawn bias for the last 4 weeks or so = 70%, previously we have had it at 90% then down to 80%.

The only difference between us and vanilla dayz is 3% now, I'll happily lower it to the default levels if people want, but its pretty much been there for quite a few weeks now anyway. As far as loot table changes, I have never altered the percentage on any of the default dayz items, except for things like DMR's, and ghillie suits which I re balanced. I removed a range of guns from general military loot and moved them to other places and stopped castles spawning mountains of military loot. Do you guys have any examples? I'm not sure if I've seen you playing since the rate was lowered to 70% apart from zohan. Not really sure why you are finding such a difference between us an vanilla because from the code we are virtually the same at the moment in terms of rarity of items. Also there are many items are far rarer on here than in vanilla.

One thing I did notice yesterday whilst cycling stary is that only guns seemed to be spawning. There were none of the general "military" items which spawn in piles of multiple objects despite them having a 90% spawn chance. This has made me suspect something strange is happening in the code but I need more time to look into that.

I'm happy to make changes the majority are in favour of to loot but that will take feedback from a lot of people. So use this thread to let me know what you think I am always making small updates to loot tables so feedback needs to be current.

Self bloodbagging is a mechanic designed to help lonewolfs, seeing as we don't have very many regular players on the server and a lot of the ones we do play solo it is something they find really helpful. Personally I don't like it but whilst the population is still low at peak times the mod is staying, if you don't like it just don't use it.

Marv what are you talking about with healing at field hospitals? I've never installed any mods for that, not heard of any either?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:25 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
tomisafish wrote:
Food and drink needs to be much, much rarer imo. Same for matches.

I get asked to increase spawn rate on matches more than any other item.

I think they're about right at the moment (took me 2 days to find my most recent set). But loot tables are very subjective and people often judge the entire probability table on how easily they found an item once or twice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Loot spawn bias has been lowered to 67% (dayz default level) now....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:41 am 

I'm a bandit!
I'm just a really big fan of the namalsk loot table. Easy to kill people/Hard to stay alive :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:48 am 

IGN: [SFG] GeordieMarv
Current Life: 0.6 hrs
Time Alive: 33.2 hrs

Murders: 3
Bandit Kills: 1
Deaths: 10
Zombies Killed: 130

I'm not a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
Marv what are you talking about with healing at field hospitals? I've never installed any mods for that, not heard of any either?

Weird, me and DKmintz were playing on there a week or two ago and I was near the hospital tents in Cherno (from what I remember). Whilst I was stood next to the tent a scroll wheel option came up that said "heal at field hospital". I thought it was so weird that I instantly mentioned it to DKmintz.

I'm sure the option came up for him too. We def. didn't imagine it. Although I have to admit I didn't try clicking it. Maybe it's an obscure bug with old left over/unused code? I dunno. Very weird though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:36 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
GeordieMarv wrote:
Seaweed wrote:

Weird, me and DKmintz were playing on there a week or two ago and I was near the hospital tents in Cherno (from what I remember). Whilst I was stood next to the tent a scroll wheel option came up that said "heal at field hospital". I thought it was so weird that I instantly mentioned it to DKmintz.

I'm sure the option came up for him too. We def. didn't imagine it. Although I have to admit I didn't try clicking it. Maybe it's an obscure bug with old left over/unused code? I dunno. Very weird though.

Ah that's just a leftover function from ARMA 2 it doesn't do anything if you actually click it, not sure when dayz started showing it but there's no way they should be able to heal you, let me know if they somehow do but this should not be the case.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:08 pm 

No Gamer Profile
I haven't seen a big coyote pack in weeks. Also haven't seen another sniper rifle spawn besides an m40a3 in just as long if not longer.

Can you increase the spawn rate of custom skins? I love that about DZ. U can find their custom skins in guard shacks and military spawn points.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
SNM! Omen wrote:
I haven't seen a big coyote pack in weeks. Also haven't seen another sniper rifle spawn besides an m40a3 in just as long if not longer.

Can you increase the spawn rate of custom skins? I love that about DZ. U can find their custom skins in guard shacks and military spawn points.

24 slot backpacks are still very common in the server despite me reducing their spawn locations, there's a large number of players wearing them right now. You've probably been unlucky or been looking in the wrong places since they only spawn in barracks.

Sniper rifle rarity is intended to be that way, I'm actually pretty pleased with how its working out m40a3 is going to be made less common soon.

To me it doesn't make sense to have a soldier skin or ghillie suit spawning in a residential location. I even don't like them spawning in firestations, I might make them a little more common in other locations but like the sniper rifles I'm pretty happy with their current rarity, its not an item that should be easy to acquire. It takes a lot of looting to find one but its perfectly possible, from what I see spectating plenty of people have no issues with finding them.

Remember this thread is for feedback on the current loot tables, they change all the time and I don't do changelog updates for all changes. I've not seen you login very often recently to do any looting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:50 pm 

IGN: [SFG] DKmintz
Current Life: 1.6 hrs
Time Alive: 28.3 hrs

Murders: 1
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 5
Zombies Killed: 128

I'm not a bandit!
SW, its a fair point you raise about players (my) perception on how loot is spawned and luck of the draw.

As i just quickly checked this thread, the only example I can think of at the moment are the Antibiotic spawn, I think i own about 5 or 6 sets, not entirely sure.

Perhaps it is simply my perception and as you rightly point out to others which applies to myself, I have not played a new character on here since you recently reduced the spawn rate on things.

I will tonight commit suicide (in the game, i hasten to disappoint you) and then start from scratch and give proper feedback which I maybe should have done before my impulsive OP.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:04 pm 

No Gamer Profile
i actually have a few friends that own ghillie suits IRL. They are somewhat common here in the states. Maybe rare over the water.

He wore it for halloween.

As long as this doesnt turn into DayZ 2017

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:39 pm 

I'm a bandit!
I have not seen a freshly spawned 24 slot bag for a very, very long time now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Check the changelog bug fixed in the military loot table, should make a big difference

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:33 am 

IGN: piggeh
Current Life: 0.5 hrs
Time Alive: 53.9 hrs
Humanity: -8,905

Murders: 8
Bandit Kills: 7
Deaths: 36
Zombies Killed: 1,350

I'm a bandit!
Is it possible to increase the frequency on tank trap kits? I seem to come across scrap metal more often than TTKs yet you need 3 TTKs and one scrap for a container. Seems a bit out of balance. Otherwise I think the loot spawn rates are about right.