Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 574.8 hrs
Humanity: -293,162

Murders: 153
Bandit Kills: 92
Deaths: 234
Zombies Killed: 7,180

I'm a bandit!
Are there any chance of adding more choppers to server? Atleast little birds (huey also :D)
Like I dont find choppers OP in any way, they are easy to take care of if you just know how to.
But with more airvehicles available on server, I think it would potentially offer more cool fights etc. Like chasing with the birds, or heavy shootouts in the air between two hueys and a plane etc.

I feel like that the cool fights doesnt happen to frequently enough for my taste atleast. The fights we had so far containing 2 squads up against eachother on an airfield, with chopper involved, are pretty badass. This is what makes this game fun to me atleast.

I also cant stop recommend new people to tag and squad up, and work together. If we had like 6-7 (or more) active squads, I could just imagine the sick fights we could end up in.

Any other suggestions how to increase the potential action?

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for action - reply your thoughts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:45 am 

IGN: [SFG] GeordieMarv
Current Life: 0.6 hrs
Time Alive: 33.2 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 3
Bandit Kills: 1
Deaths: 10
Zombies Killed: 130

I'm not a bandit!
I may be wrong, but I believe that there are only the 2 choppers for 2 reasons :-

1) Choppers and planes cause lag on the server. Planes cause so much lag I question why they are in. Yes they are fun for the players fortunate enough to be in them. But at the expense of killing everyone else's frame rates (and I don't mean slightly...i'm talking HUGE fps drops) I have to wonder why they are on the server at all.

2) Too many choppers would make getting into peoples bases far too easy.

I think 2 helis are fine, [SFG] have had them occasionally...so they are out there if your lucky enough to find them first. It's hanging onto them that is the problem :)

Personally I think if you want to find some action, no amount of adding new helis will help. Part of the problem on the server lately is that there are a lot of new players. They seem to be in the main cities (Cherno/Elektro) death matching all the time. Only a very small amount of players on the server venture far North. And it's mostly the clans in my opinion. Notice I say mostly....as you do get the odd few single players up there. But from our experience it is mostly clans. :(

[SFG] are also getting a bit bored to be honest Inv. There just isn't enough people up North. Most of the action is on the coast. :(

I wish there was a way we could make people head out of the main deathmatch cities. God knows Seaweed has tried to encourage them up North with the best loot, vehicles and messages telling them this.
But at the end of the day, it's their game. If they want to stay in the cities PvP-ing no amount of coercing them or server messages or SW telling them to get their asses up North will work.

It's a tough situation to remedy. Maybe in time all these new people will get bored of the coast and head North eventually. It's only a matter of time until us players that are North are forced to come back South...through sheer boredom.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:12 pm 

IGN: Investoren
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 574.8 hrs
Humanity: -293,162

Murders: 153
Bandit Kills: 92
Deaths: 234
Zombies Killed: 7,180

I'm a bandit!
I can see your points. South is boring. We've been south lately just to shoot bambis on the coast, to somehow give "pleasure". But its boring as hell, and its not fun to kill a guy that cant give a fight back. Meh, guess thread will be dead sooner then expected, and that we just have to wait for the new players to team up and move north and build bases.......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:20 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
I agree the South is boring. And I personally won't shoot bambis & unarmed players. There is no "sport" in it for me. But I have to confess to understanding why people do it. It's either go South and sit on the coast/cities and at least have some "action". Or go North and maybe see 1 person in 2 hours. LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
I've toyed with the idea of adding a 3rd chopper before (probably the russian one) but there's a few reasons why I am not keen personally.

1. Choppers invalidate bases, I'm not just talking about basebuilding but any base, tents vehicles etc. If you have a desirable vehicle it is virtually impossible to hide from helicopters regardless of where you put it it will be found. People new to the server will generally rage quit when they lose their vehicles quickly, or worse message me claiming a hacker found them. Back last December I watched a group in a huey destroy every single player owned vehicle at camps within the space of an hour or so.

2. DayZ is not ARMA, I play ARMA when I want to see crazy explosions and blow up vehicles and shit. To me it has always felt out of place being shot by a giant machine gun on a helicopter in a game such as this. Helicopters can add some great intensity and excitement to squad-play but there's no value to them when they are common.

Back when I started playing dayz there was 1 huey per server and if it was destroyed it could take weeks to respawn. That gave you a real sense of amazement when you saw one fly over. Nowdays people will leave a chopper at a spawn point simply because it is not completely repaired, expecting to find another in a few hours at the next spawn they go to.

3. It's a great way to catch ESP kids when there are only 1-2 helis. The hardest type of hacker to catch has always been the maphack/esp kids. It's a lot easier when there's only 1 heli spawned and you watch them run in a straight line to it multiple times. It's even funnier when you watch them run all the way there only to realize its inside a base :lol:

I think a lot of people are under the impression that the choppers on our server are somehow constantly hoarded or controlled by one group on our server. This is not the case at all and whilst basebuilding did make it easier to store them, the majority of the time the choppers sit at spawn points.

I will tell you all this the huey has been sitting in the same place for well over a week now, I've seen multiple players find it and leave it presumably because they can't be bothered to loot the parts to repair it.

On the subject of players moving North I have actually been very pleased with results over the last 3-4 days. Around 2/3 or more of people playing have been moving North. I'm not sure if the repeating messages in chat have caused it but I have never seen so many players north of Stary! It's quite funny to sit and spectate sometimes, you see a group camp and airfield for over an hour, not realizing a second group is also camping the same spot. Both groups log out because they are bored, just after a 3rd group arrives and starts looting the airfield.

As frustrating as it can be sitting North waiting on action going to the coast only contributes to the problem. Last night for instance Eby and MrZ were camping the NEAF for hours waiting on MM, along with another group of 3 people. But you guys were down in Berizino and later Elektro. I know how boring it gets hunting up North when its quiet we've always hunted in the North on this server even when the average population was less than 10 players. However bored you get though going to the coast for action only contributes to the problem. When you get into fights on the coast all you do is encourage the people you killed to respawn in the same town and try and get revenge.

Worse than that, new squads who have ventured North have even less chance of getting into a fight at Stary/NWAF/NEAF because the squads have moved to the coast too, so they leave the server. That's always been part of the game though, the action up North is never always frequent but it wouldn't be so epic if it was. I've camped Stary on a 60/60 player DayZero server for over an hour and not seen a single player on more than one occasion.

As long as the player count continues to climb I am open to the idea of adding a 3rd helicopter, but as I said before I don't think it would lead to more action for anyone when the ones we have now spend so long undiscovered or ignored at their spawns. Also generally if you have 1 helicopter you can find the others very quickly, along with everyone's urals etc. More squads (which we are gathering every day now) are the solution to more intense action up North, not more vehicles in my opinion.

Let's use this thread to see what everyone else thinks. My suggestions for getting more squad action up North are this though, keep killing people up North! I know it can get boring but there's no better way to encourage a squad to stay on the server than murdering them on their first visit to Stary, even if you did have to wait 2 hours for them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:40 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
Agree with everything that you have said SW to be totally homest.

I def. don't think the helis are monopolised either. They seem to shift hands between clans and other players a lot. We always try to fix one up if we find one though...as they are such an asset to have.

I too think that the helis (and planes) with guns on them seem TOTALLY out of place in DayZ. Having just one or two and the same with planes makes them a bit more special when you do find one and put the time into fixing it up though. More helis added in my opinion would make them less valuable and less of an asset.

But if i'm brutally honest I would like to see just maybe one LB with no guns and one plane with no guns. I believe the helis/planes with guns are as out of place in DayZ as As50s' and Thermal L85A2s'.

As we have also said regarding players, we just have to be patient and over time we should see more and more of the new players become regular "well known" faces heading North and I agree going to the coast adds to the problem. But if someone only has say 1 or 2 hrs to play...you can't blame them for not wanting to spend that time wandering around without seeing anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:02 pm 

IGN: [SFG] DKmintz
Current Life: 1.6 hrs
Time Alive: 28.3 hrs

Murders: 1
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 5
Zombies Killed: 128

I'm not a bandit!
More helis? This isnt the answer, there are far too many air vehicles as it is. This is a post apocalyptic zombie survival game and we cannot lose sight of that, or the game is ruined for me personally. The an-2 is a bloody joke for reasons iv said before, with guns its.....ridiculous in this universe. Helis are a joke also tbh and i wish they only existed within the hardest level of physics that exist within Take On Helicopters. Yes iv used them for banditry purposes before in the past but if they wernt there, i couldnt.

As far as action goes, the correct answer is mostly always the most obvious, and that is that we have to make the action ourselves. As seaweed says, having two groups camp an airfield at the same time for them both to log off not knowing that they were there, makes the answer blindingly obvious.

But first, the guys on the coast, they are getting their action. Oh yes like the cool kids of the class at the weekend, they are getting ak-shi-yun. Theyre doing what they enjoy and theyre loving it, so leave them alone, those guys are not the issue here.

The obvious solution here is the way in which the squads up north play. What is it that the squads want? All the coasters to come up and loot the airfields JUST so you have something to shoot at? It doesnt work like that. We have to modify the way that we play, what we have to do is not sit there and camp in the safe places and wait for someone to make the first move. You have to make the first move, you have to hunt the players, not wait for them to loot.

What we have is squads full of long range players who will shoot at distance.

The point is, if you want action, you have to go make it happen, and that is the very special thing about DayZ. Nothing is scripted, all events happen of their own accord, and if they are not happening then it is your fault. It is not the fault of the coasties, because they are enjoying the game with a double barrel shotgun more than what you are enjoying your game with your ghillie suit, gps, range finders and an m24.

The ArmA engine is hosting lots of various types of games, if you want vehicles and constant squad play action and helis and planes and sniper rifles and lots of blood and guts then go play Wasteland, thats exactly what that is about. DayZ is a whole different kettle of fish to that style of game, and (and this is my most precise and steadfast point) those that moan and complain about the survival aspect and the zombies being to hard (which it isnt!), really need to go play a different game, but thats another story for another day.

There is nothing wrong with the way others are playing the game, it is the way YOU are playing the game that is ruining it for yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:42 pm 

IGN: Fredrich
Current Life: 4.5 hrs
Time Alive: 559.4 hrs
Humanity: -55,472

Murders: 102
Bandit Kills: 38
Deaths: 97
Zombies Killed: 14,252

I'm a bandit!
And a T72 ..... not good idea ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:31 am 

IGN: CLOUD PHOBOS
Current Life: 13.6 hrs
Time Alive: 301.3 hrs
Humanity: 933

Murders: 4
Bandit Kills: 2
Deaths: 75
Zombies Killed: 743

I'm not a bandit!
Please increase resistence for vehicules.... weels are too easy to lose.... realy!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:14 am 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
CLOUD PHOBOS wrote:
Please increase resistence for vehicules.... weels are too easy to lose.... realy!!!

https://github.com/DayZMod/DayZ/issues? ... state=open

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:06 pm 

IGN: CLOUD PHOBOS
Current Life: 13.6 hrs
Time Alive: 301.3 hrs
Humanity: 933

Bandit Kills: 2
Deaths: 75
Zombies Killed: 743

I'm not a bandit!
Ok thx !!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:16 pm 

IGN: Sirus
Current Life: 0.5 hrs
Time Alive: 741.8 hrs
Humanity: 3,870

Murders: 133
Bandit Kills: 60
Deaths: 333
Zombies Killed: 3,965

I'm not a bandit!
put more barracks at the airfields and stary perhaps, give people a real sense of "i can loot the shit out of this place" then the sneaky devils like mm can have their way with these unlucky victims :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:12 am 

IGN: Taicho91
Current Life: 5.0 hrs
Time Alive: 234.5 hrs
Humanity: 4,393

Bandit Kills: 14
Deaths: 83
Zombies Killed: 6,326

I'm not a bandit!
I think the long range statement is the only major problem. I have been around zele a lot and to me the fights there seem like a good balance between long range and close quarter combat. You will find a sniper in the treeline here and there but at the same time you can expect someone to be looting the factory or firestation. This has resulted in multiple enjoyable fights for me and I can't recall a fight where just 1 guy with a sniper dominated it.

That said, the most enjoyable fight I participated in so far was a fight over a vehicle which resulted in a 4v2. Even though some people had an m14 most people had assault rifles or something similar (rpk for me). This rpk managed to supress some of them and I ended up killing 2 out of the 4 because of it and I can't help but feel that if one of them had a sniper I would probably have died much sooner than I did.

I don't think you can remove snipers from the game because that would piss people off way to much but maybe we should encourage people in a way to use other guns.

Just my two cents...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:31 pm 

IGN: thesmileyone
Current Life: 12.5 hrs
Time Alive: 25.7 hrs
Humanity: -2,219

Bandit Kills: 8
Deaths: 3
Zombies Killed: 590

I'm a bandit!
How about add a boundary to the map? Then everyone could be say 6km from each other?