Time Alive: 367.1 hrs
Humanity: -171,385

Murders: 81
Bandit Kills: 87
Deaths: 82
Zombies Killed: 2,096

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
In this thread I'd like to adress the problems with road debris and things connected to it:
Important to note: Military and medical tents like in Cherno, Stary, Berezino and the entire military/medical base at balota work in a similiar way as road debris and I think you can not remove the debris without removing those tents as well!

On the one hand I personally find road debris totally annyoing and IMHO these masses and the positioning of some debris makes no sense in a zombie apocalypse, but on the other hand it just kinda belongs to DayZ.

So I think a complete removal would be the last resort and make the game a bit more boring.

But here are the problems:

For players with "really" bad computers (takling in ARMA 2 requirements ^^) debris and tents spawn VERY late to never if you drive into an area. Especially problematic are areas with very low FPS (like Cherno)!
For example the driver of a car could pass entire Cherno on the main road from east to west never seeing or HITTING anthing, while his comrades with better computers are dying of fear because they see themselves driving through every single barricade.

For players with medium computers like me, debris sometimes spawns just so late, they pop up right in front of me when im driving a car at full speed, so I completely destroy it. No chance to break or evade.
(I know about most of the debris and drive carefully in those areas but sometimes you just forget and your car is gone)

Players with high end technology don't have this problem but have a small disadvantage to players with bad computers as they for example can see through the entire balota camp as if it wasn't there and can spot players, loot and zombies this way (it's like a wall hack).

I don't know if there is anything server side to improve the spawning of those items, but this would be the best solution.

Removing all the debris and adding all the tents back in would be the last resort in my opinion and would, as stated above, make the game more boring and too easy to drive.

But maybe someone else has a solution for this?

Post subject: Re: Road Debris
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
I have found a way to remove only road debris without removing the other objects. My current plan is to remove it all and manually add some roadblocks in the editor to some key places. These roadblocks will load quickly because they are loaded on startup like other custom map objects, rather than streamed from cfg files as the current debris is.

However too many map objects can also hurt performance and load times so it's a bit of a balancing act and ARMA editor is also a pain in the ass but it should happening pretty soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:26 pm 

IGN: Nice Guy Eddie
Current Life: 8.2 hrs
Time Alive: 367.1 hrs
Humanity: -171,385

Murders: 81
Bandit Kills: 87
Deaths: 82
Zombies Killed: 2,096

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
That's great news! And yeah, I've worked with that editor as well. Built an entire bridge to Skalisty Island and it only took me 8 hours ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:07 pm 

IGN: Dampveivals
Current Life: 1.3 hrs
Time Alive: 716.8 hrs
Humanity: -462,507

Murders: 257
Bandit Kills: 163
Deaths: 189
Zombies Killed: 11,977

I'm a bandit!
rCane wrote:
For players with medium computers like me, debris sometimes spawns just so late, they pop up right in front of me when im driving a car at full speed, so I completely destroy it. No chance to break or evade.

You mean like this? :D Happens to me all the time, I basically can't drive in towns anymore cause the debris never loads...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Tom (TooHighToFly) has been playing with the map editor to add some new roadblocks before I remove all the existing debris

http://imgur.com/a/2s00J#0

It will be great once it's gone as I know a lot of players suffer from it spawning in late but it's going to take us a bit of time to get everything completed and tested. Removing all the existing debris is going to leave some places like Balota airfield pretty empty so we need to make sure we have added our own debris where its needed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:29 pm 

IGN: Mr.Brown
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 0.0 hrs
Humanity: 0

Murders: 0
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: -1
Zombies Killed: 0

I'm a bandit!
Ahh ,there is the HUMVEE :P