Current Life: 16.8 hrs
Time Alive: 298.0 hrs
Humanity: -78,939

Murders: 47
Bandit Kills: 22
Deaths: 38
Zombies Killed: 1,627

I'm a bandit!
We currently have a five second respawn time. Even on a complete arcade game like Team Fortress 2, which is about 10.000 times faster than dayz, you have longer respawn times.
In the discussion about Shortboy's 24h ban yesterday I believe someone said something along the lines of: it was combat logging when he logged off for dinner because he must have known that they would run back up there. And that was already the third time or so! (yes, yes, the fact that Nilus was there stalking him without him knowing is another topic). I think that clearly shows what's wrong with this mechanic...
Most serious PvP encounters end in the 'prevailing' party not being able to clear the area because killed players keep running up in scattered waves just to save what there is to save or at least take some more people down with them or wreak a little bit of havoc. This is not only highly unrealistic, but it also takes away the incentive to stay alive, so almost every bigger fight that is fun at first turns into a moronic deathmatch after a while, often with little more than AKs and hatchets by the end of it (and awkward unarmed people with nothing to lose sprinting around as bait or whatever). Some people spend so much time on the server, that they could basically keep this circus up 24/7, but is that the kind of DayZ we want to play?
Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining because other people do it, me and my different squadmates have done it too, and it always bothered me, whether it was us or others - it's tiring and has no place in a survival game, at least not without some form of regulation.
On the vast majority of Altis Life servers you aren't even allowed to enter the area where you got killed in a firefight for half an hour or so, otherwise you get banned. (There are a couple of other common "New Life Rules", but I don't think they are all that relevant for DayZ.)
I like the intention of that idea, but the rule as such lacks common sense (it doesn't make sense to forbid players to go to a certain place on the map) and is hard to actually apply. So what I suggest is

- much longer respawn times (i'm talking 5 to 10 minutes), which give you time to accept what happened, grab another coffee or a beer, and then come back and see what your options are, back to base, gear up a little around the coast, or try to link up with your squadmates again. I do realise that a lot of people will find this annoying, but gentlemen (and ladies?), this is a survival game. Dying should be annoying and not a free teleport to all the industrial loot at the coast. If you don't want to deal with the nuisance that is death, then don't die. The best way not to die is to kill all the people that want to kill you. So get good or lucky at that and you'll have a good chance of staying alive. If a zone is too hot and you realise you have no control over your surroundings, it may be wise to pull out, get a better grasp on the situation and try another approach. That's how combat works.

- not being allowed to spawn in the same location twice within one server cycle, or even get rid of spawn selection completely. Or maybe there is a way to block spawn locations that are closest to where you last died, so that you have to try different things if you die more often?

Post subject: Re: respawning...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:51 pm 

IGN: B3ll
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 238.8 hrs
Humanity: -85,577

Murders: 36
Bandit Kills: 36
Deaths: 91
Zombies Killed: 1,698

I'm a bandit!
I really like these ideas. The clusterfuck that happens whenever there is a squad fight near one of the spawns is ridiculous. I think a longer respawn timer would be good, but maybe only if you get killed by another player? I suicide a lot :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:55 pm 

IGN: Mr. Pink

I'm a bandit!
B3ll wrote:
I really like these ideas. The clusterfuck that happens whenever there is a squad fight near one of the spawns is ridiculous. I think a longer respawn timer would be good, but maybe only if you get killed by another player? I suicide a lot :P

That is a good idea on the one hand, on the other it might lead to tactical suicides just to avoid a long respawn time. Stranger things have happened... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
The problem with the respawn timer is its essentially there only to stop a certain bug. You can still kill the game at any time whilst it's on screen though. You could say we add a rule to stop people doing that within the 5 minutes, however from admins point of view thats too much work for us to enforce and track.

I agree with you though, it is unrealistic and stupid. Personally I'm not a fan of the spawn selection at all, not being allowed to spawn in the same place more than once is something I suggested to razor when they first added it. I can try coding it myself but I fear unless its tracked by the server as a client you could just relog and you'll enable the disabled areas again. Unfortunately coding it so it works serverside is going to be a lot of work for me. Lets get a bit of discussion going in this thread on the topic. Maybe I am wrong in thinking if I disabled spawn selection there would be outcry.

I can take a look into coding something but at the moment I first need to fix the basebuilding. This is probably going to take a me a long time to complete but I feel its a much bigger issue than this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:09 pm 

IGN: luki
Current Life: 1.6 hrs
Time Alive: 35.5 hrs
Humanity: -1,459

Murders: 5
Bandit Kills: 7
Deaths: 36
Zombies Killed: 125

I'm a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
The problem with the respawn timer is its essentially there only to stop a certain bug. You can still kill the game at any time whilst it's on screen though. You could say we add a rule to stop people doing that within the 5 minutes, however from admins point of view thats too much work for us to enforce and track.

I agree with you though, it is unrealistic and stupid. Personally I'm not a fan of the spawn selection at all, not being allowed to spawn in the same place more than once is something I suggested to razor when they first added it. I can try coding it myself but I fear unless its tracked by the server as a client you could just relog and you'll enable the disabled areas again. Unfortunately coding it so it works serverside is going to be a lot of work for me. Lets get a bit of discussion going in this thread on the topic. Maybe I am wrong in thinking if I disabled spawn selection there would be outcry.

I can take a look into coding something but at the moment I first need to fix the basebuilding. This is probably going to take a me a long time to complete but I feel its a much bigger issue than this.

is there somewhere a complete guide of you base-building?(I read the topics already here in forum)
But I really want to know, what can be build... types of walls etc...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
TiMEDANCE wrote:
Seaweed wrote:

is there somewhere a complete guide of you base-building?(I read the topics already here in forum)
But I really want to know, what can be build... types of walls etc...

Right click on your toolbox in game to see the recipe list

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:17 pm 

I'm a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:

maybe just having a 5 minute timer upon death, even if people theoretically can work around it by killing the game, would be a start at least... most regulars on the server wouldn't do it, and other regulars would probably point it out to them if they did. paired with no spawn selection i, and others i am sure, would already be a lot happier i think.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
I like disabling the spawn selection entirely a lot more than that. It's a solution with no workarounds and it doesn't piss off every new player to the server who has just died for the first time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:58 pm 

IGN: Benuar
Current Life: 3.9 hrs
Time Alive: 274.8 hrs
Humanity: -37,112

Murders: 36
Bandit Kills: 89
Deaths: 235
Zombies Killed: 4,531

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
While I dislike the first few sentences of this threat I must say the idea in general is realy good!

Disabeling the spawn selection would also encourage a bit more of discovery and enforce the survival and regearing in spawn zones aspect instead of just having players run for their base once they got killed. I will be sad if i dont get my gear back after i died becouse i spawned to far out but it is only realistic and that is what i like about this game.

I for my part have so far only over spawned in Berez as this is the coolest place for me to be, i know it by heart, my base is close, NEA is close and all of these things. I dont even know what NWA realy looks like becouse i never get to that area.

I guess disabeling the spawn selection will also disencourage spawn camping.

TL;DR In favor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:56 pm 

IGN: Hunter2000
Current Life: 5.7 hrs
Time Alive: 485.5 hrs
Humanity: 2,218

Murders: 7
Deaths: 161
Zombies Killed: 7,863

I'm not a bandit!
No Spawn selection was something I was used to before arriving on this server.

it does mean that control over vehicles become much more important: to go pick your friends up quickly while your fallen enemies struggle to regroup. it means that groups who control the Heli have even more of an advantage because they regroup faster.

No, I would go a step further and re-spawn players at Sea so they take time to swim to shore :twisted: that gives you the desired delay right there.. it also make having the PBX handy

Either way I think it can add a nice change to the game and make it more dangerous to stay on the coastline.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:25 am 

IGN: Christoph
Time Alive: 0.0 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 0
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 0
Zombies Killed: 0

I'm not a bandit!
Well, I can totally see why people would prefer a non selectable spawn... but lets face it, this is the only thing keeping bandits from sealclubbing at the coast. On the last instance I participated (a 2 vs. 4 roadblock at Balota airstrip), if it was´nt for the selectible respawns we and countless other freshspawns would have gotten their asses handed over via MK48 and DMR.

It´s easy. If you dont want to get makaroved in the face by a newspawn don´t camp the effing coast. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:29 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Christoph wrote:
Well, I can totally see why people would prefer a non selectable spawn... but lets face it, this is the only thing keeping bandits from sealclubbing at the coast. On the last instance I participated (a 2 vs. 4 roadblock at Balota airstrip), if it was´nt for the selectible respawns we and countless other freshspawns would have gotten their asses handed over via MK48 and DMR.

It´s easy. If you dont want to get makaroved in the face by a newspawn don´t camp the effing coast. 8-)

I would say spawn selection increases the amount of coastal death matching if anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:32 am 

I'm a bandit!
Christoph wrote:

i can't say i fully understand - other than me not being sure how exactly this really relates to my op, how do you know you or anyone else would have spawned close to that mk48 and dmr?

Last edited by Simon on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:36 am 

I'm a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
Christoph wrote:

I would say spawn selection increases the amount of coastal death matching if anything.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:42 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
Yeah, if I see someone at the coast camping for freshspawns I usually respawn somewhere else too. I think the selectable spawnpoints are a chance to get a revenge in the first place though, and not so much for the means to fuck with ppl in any way.

It´s legit to drive to the coast with the aim to collect some easy kills, but one should not be sure that the bambis don´t come back to crowbar-kamikaze at you. But maybe you could reward random-spawns... or something like that. Because the intention of random-spawns I like a lot too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:47 pm 

I'm a bandit!
Christoph wrote:
Yeah, if I see someone at the coast camping for freshspawns I usually respawn somewhere else too. I think the selectable spawnpoints are a chance to get a revenge in the first place though, and not so much for the means to fuck with ppl in any way.

It´s legit to drive to the coast with the aim to collect some easy kills, but one should not be sure that the bambis don´t come back to crowbar-kamikaze at you. But maybe you could reward random-spawns... or something like that. Because the intention of random-spawns I like a lot too.

so, if i understand that correctly, we should keep selectable spawnpoints so that spawnkilled people can indeed run back to where they got killed and get revenge? part of my initial point here was that exactly that is stupid and annoying (even though i wasn't really talking about coastal dm), you are free to disagree of course...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:07 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
Well, I like both options. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:33 pm 

IGN: TooHighToFly
Time Alive: 452.6 hrs
Humanity: -134,510

Murders: 92
Bandit Kills: 68
Deaths: 127
Zombies Killed: 2,957

I'm a bandit!
I would absolutely friggin love for the choice to be removed. Soon after the selection screen was introduced I came to the decision that the coast had nothing for me gameplay wise. It is nice to go on a quick -humanity binge every now and again but it completely destroyed any form of combat, or even friendly play, at the coast for me due to the fact that someone I have killed could be back at their body before I had a chance to loot it.

This never used to cause a problem for me playing away from the coast however, when we had a lower number of active players on the server. The problem has spread though now and with many more active players and larger and larger groups of players playing together it just gets worse.

This has become a huge problem at the north east airfield. I don't even like to go there anymore even though I know i'm normally guaranteed a couple of kills. I'm going to go ahead and use the last two times I fought ICD and co as examples. I'm not trying to call you guys out and I have no problem with you taking advantage of a "feature" while it is in the game but both times stand out to me as a reason to remove this feature.

The last two squad fights I have had at the neaf have initially been in my favor. I made it out of each situation alive. Success? Meh, kinda.

In the "ambush" incident for example, where our squad blew up an offroad, killed quite a few people immediately, continued to clear up some stray ghillie suits and got to the point where we knew there were only a couple more enemies remaining and minor casualties to ourselves, we ended up coming off worse purely due to the fact that everyone we killed re spawned a maximum of 15 minutes away, if that. We only managed to loot about 3 bodies before our car got blown up by the people we had killed. I used up more ammo trying to kill people running back to their bodies than I had looted off them. Not because I was wasting ammo, just because of the amount of people respawning and running back. It was no enjoyable.

My second example, though much smaller in comparison would be the night Shortboy, Dampvievals and myself were fighting everyone else at neaf. Both ended up getting shot by people who they had already killed and I only escaped by the skin of my teeth as I was being shot at with a DMR by the same guy who I had already killed twice already, not too long before then. As a result only I got away even though we had killed 13/14 people and only Short and Damp died. We were unable to gather any loot even though we "won".

I understand why people want to run back to their bodies and I do not blame them. I am guilty of doing it in the past too. It used to be a much smaller problem though without the spawn selection.

Recently however I have decided to begin changing my approach. I don't like to complain about something I do myself so I have only tried to loot my body once it is "out of combat". It seems a bit like a form of combat logging if you can die and then kill the guy trying to get your shit before he actually does. While my body is "in combat" I much prefer it for my remaining squad members to try to collect my stuff (since they are alive. im dead since i died in that fight) rather than protect it until I get back.

At the end of the day, the person who did the killing deserves the stuff more than the person killed and removing the spawn selection will help balance this back out a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:09 pm 

I'm a bandit!
yeh, thanks tom!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:20 pm 

IGN: Dampveivals
Current Life: 1.3 hrs
Time Alive: 716.8 hrs
Humanity: -462,507

Murders: 257
Bandit Kills: 163
Deaths: 189
Zombies Killed: 11,977

I'm a bandit!
I think spawn selection would be totally fine if it was not possible to spawn in Berezino or Solnichniy...spawning should happen on the southern coast, not a 10 min run from an airfield.

The way it is now I agree that the spawn selection should just be removed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:41 am 

IGN: Torkmastaflex
Current Life: 11.2 hrs
Time Alive: 369.4 hrs
Humanity: -15,792

Murders: 20
Bandit Kills: 26
Deaths: 187
Zombies Killed: 3,775

I'm a bandit!
Yeah I'm down with that. To me it would be way cool, but berez has everything. Shit, the last 2 days I spent just in the town and I didn't want to go back for my body at the road to NEAF. But even in berez the past few days I can't even protect myself fast enough from squads going between elektro and NEAF via coast. But idk, don't care what happens :)

It would be cool to make spawns inland on the edge of north and east. Really annoying these past few days dying on the coast time and time again just to gear up and head to base. Maybe these spawns will help, idk.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:36 am 

IGN: Arfour Foulkesayke
Time Alive: 62.0 hrs
Humanity: 6,962

Murders: 1
Bandit Kills: 7
Deaths: 23
Zombies Killed: 725

I'm a hero!
What Tom said. +1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:27 pm 

IGN: Shortboy
Time Alive: 355.8 hrs
Humanity: -201,151

Murders: 149
Bandit Kills: 89
Deaths: 157
Zombies Killed: 3,188

I'm a bandit!
What Damp said +1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Once I finish writing my script to fix the vehicle hoarding problem, this will be the next thing I start work on.

If I can't find a decent way of limiting the selection of specific cities, or the number of times you can select each one I'll just disable spawn selection entirely.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:07 pm 

I'm a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
Once I finish writing my script to fix the vehicle hoarding problem, this will be the next thing I start work on.

If I can't find a decent way of limiting the selection of specific cities, or the number of times you can select each one I'll just disable spawn selection entirely.

cool, thanks!