Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Lots of discussion recently regarding the fact I disabled death messages on the server.

Lets continue talking about the topic in this thread, I'll let the poll run for a while and advertise it in game. After a week or two we'll enable the messages or leave them disabled based on the poll.

Post subject: Re: Server Changelog
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:02 pm 

IGN: Vidarro
Current Life: 0.4 hrs
Time Alive: 160.7 hrs
Humanity: -158,294

Murders: 64
Bandit Kills: 55
Deaths: 81
Zombies Killed: 2,026

I'm a bandit!
We want death message back :(

Its more entertaining with death messages, keep hardcore settings on hardcore server.

Think it gives the large groups a slight more benefit too.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:46 pm 

IGN: TooHighToFly
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 452.6 hrs
Humanity: -134,510

Murders: 92
Bandit Kills: 68
Deaths: 127
Zombies Killed: 2,957

I'm a bandit!
Death messages give information for no reason. If I was to shoot some guy over an airfield why should I know who he was as soon as I kill him? It is yet another feature that makes the game easier and less realistic for no reason just like cross-hairs and map markers.

Squads will still be at the same disadvantages because if they open fire a player they won't know if it is a small squad, a large squad, or just a lonewolf and will need to change their playstyle.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed

I'm a bandit!
It gets very boring instantly checking the player list as soon as you kill someone its much more interesting without kill messages I don't really see what they add to the game.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:11 pm 

I'm a bandit!
Many things thats less realistic in game..
Try jogging 10k with an engine in your backpack or something. Or four engines.

But my opinion is that its a bit boring without deathmessages.

The realism/disadvantage is not that important for me, our gameplay will not change at all i think.

Its easy to check who logs out in lobby after you kill someone as well, so its still a chance to get an idea who you killed.
Even easier if u are in a large group. "hey check lobby for me"

What they add to the game is "fun". Everything doesnt have to be dead serious.
People like to talk to eachother, messing with eachother, and having fun with eachother after fights, seeing people getting killed etc. Its that bit who will be gone for the community.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:26 pm 

IGN: TooHighToFly
Time Alive: 452.6 hrs
Humanity: -134,510

Murders: 92
Bandit Kills: 68
Deaths: 127
Zombies Killed: 2,957

I'm a bandit!
You can type "who did I kill at...?" or "who killed me at...?" and have the same effect if you want banter. For a lot of people though, having death messages on makes the game boring. With them off combat keeps you on the edge of your seat much, much more.

I don't mind having them turned back on if it doesn't go down well but give it a go and you might find its not that boring :D

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:31 am 

IGN: ConnorGriffiths
Current Life: 9.3 hrs
Time Alive: 315.0 hrs
Humanity: -384,739

Murders: 200
Bandit Kills: 102
Deaths: 168
Zombies Killed: 3,105

I'm a bandit!
I dont see how the lack of death messages would be boring, it would make firefights more intense due to the lack of instant knowledge gained by a death message, i.e: Did i kill the guy? do i know if he has a squad or not?
ofc these things can be found out by the debug monitor and player list as people have already mentioned but this is not instantaneous like before.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:06 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Vidarro wrote:
Many things thats less realistic in game..
Try jogging 10k with an engine in your backpack or something. Or four engines.

But my opinion is that its a bit boring without deathmessages.

The realism/disadvantage is not that important for me, our gameplay will not change at all i think.

Its easy to check who logs out in lobby after you kill someone as well, so its still a chance to get an idea who you killed.
Even easier if u are in a large group. "hey check lobby for me"

People like to talk to eachother, messing with eachother, and having fun with eachother after fights, seeing people getting killed etc. Its that bit who will be gone for the community.

More often than not there's at least 1 person in lobby at any given time, so I don't think checking the player list gives you that information 100% of the time.

Quote:
People like to talk to eachother, messing with eachother, and having fun with eachother after fights, seeing people getting killed etc. Its that bit who will be gone for the community

How does having to use study body stop this?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:16 pm 

IGN: Daisy
Time Alive: 0.0 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 0
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 0
Zombies Killed: 0

I'm not a bandit!
I'm a huge fan of the removed kill messages.
Also the fact that you have to run up to the body to study it to figure out who you shot adds another bit of exitement to the game.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm 

IGN: Benuar
Current Life: 3.9 hrs
Time Alive: 274.8 hrs
Humanity: -37,112

Murders: 36
Bandit Kills: 89
Deaths: 235
Zombies Killed: 4,531

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
a lot more excitement if your asking me =) id also be in favor of removing the debug monitor but i guess that would be a bit to much for the main server

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Daisy wrote:
Also the fact that you have to run up to the body to study it to figure out who you shot adds another bit of exitement to the game.

I agree its much more exciting for me. My current plan is to hopefully transition the debug monitor kills, and humanity loss/gain to the study body function also in future. DayZero had this for a very long time and it always added to the gameplay on there.

We will see what the more general opinion of the change is first though, so far most of the feedback I've had so far has been positive.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:26 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
Benuar wrote:
a lot more excitement if your asking me =) id also be in favor of removing the debug monitor but i guess that would be a bit to much for the main server

I agree, if the debug is removed it is my opinion that this should only be done in the hardcore server.

Last edited by Daisy on Tue May 13, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:26 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
Daisy wrote:

I agree its much more exciting for me. My current plan is to hopefully transition the debug monitor kills, and humanity loss/gain to the study body function also in future. DayZero had this for a very long time and it always added to the gameplay on there.

We will see what the more general opinion of the change is first though, so far most of the feedback I've had so far has been positive.

This would be absolutely fantastic :D

EDIT; sry for dub post

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Daisy wrote:
I agree, if the debug is removed it is my opinion that this should only be done in the hardcore server.

Yeah I thought it was too drastic a change for main server when I made the change for hardcore, and moving them to study body brings more benefits anyway so will see what I can code once we've had a bit more time to see the general opinion on no death messages.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:21 pm 

I'm a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
More often than not there's at least 1 person in lobby at any given time, so I don't think checking the player list gives you that information 100% of the time.

I know its not 100%, thats why i wrote its a chance to get an idea of who you killed.
Vidarro wrote:
People like to talk to eachother, messing with eachother, and having fun with eachother after fights, seeing people getting killed etc. Its that bit who will be gone for the community

Seaweed wrote:
How does having to use study body stop this?

How can for example FP clan study bodies of ICDb clan if RTB has killed them and doesnt say anything?
Even if everyone on server actually doesnt have anything to do with it, its sometimes fun to see, and in this example maybe FP members would have a good laugh.

LOVE the server anyways and how it is administrated, this is just my opinion about death messages. I like them, and I want them to stay, and I know im not alone about thinking that. I also see alot of people want them gone, and want more realism, but why not move to the hardcore server then? All you ask for is already there? Let the main server and hardcore server have some differences.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Vidarro wrote:
How can for example FP clan study bodies of ICDb clan if RTB has killed them and doesnt say anything?
Even if everyone on server actually doesnt have anything to do with it, its sometimes fun to see, and in this example maybe FP members would have a good laugh.

I don't really understand this still myself, why does the rest of the server need to know that info? What does them having that information do to improve gameplay? Besides people saying "omg squad wipe" etc in sidechat. Everyone who had a chance of hearing or seeing it happen in game can still study the bodies. Plus they now have a risk/reward type scenario to face in order to do so.

I don't see what it adds to the gameplay when the entire server gets that information for free. If anything it puts the person(s) dying at a disadvantage because if me or my squad are on the coast we know we have a full ICDb fresh spawned squad probably heading our way. Plus thanks to spawn selection, and because we know where their base is we know where they will probably all spawn too....

Whatever changes happen on the main server are nearly always whatever the majority of players ask for, I know not everyone will like having death messages off but so far the vast majority certainly seem to prefer it. As with any big change we'll give it a bit more time to evaluate and maybe have a poll before anything is decided. We always appreciate feedback like yours on the forum or via TS.

The hardcore server is awesome but its never going to be as populated as the main server, if there's aspects of of it we can bring to the main server without hurting player counts (like my anti third person whore script for example) then I'm more than happy to do so.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:55 pm 

I'm a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
I don't really understand this still myself, why does the rest of the server need to know that info? What does them having that information do to improve gameplay? Besides people saying "omg squad wipe" etc in sidechat. Everyone who had a chance of hearing or seeing it happen in game can still study the bodies. Plus they now have a risk/reward type scenario to face in order to do so.

I don't see what it adds to the gameplay when the entire server gets that information for free. If anything it puts the person(s) dying at a disadvantage because if me or my squad are on the coast we know we have a full ICDb fresh spawned squad probably heading our way. Plus thanks to spawn selection, and because we know where their base is we know where they will probably all spawn too....

Whatever changes happen on the main server are nearly always whatever the majority of players ask for, I know not everyone will like having death messages off but so far the vast majority certainly seem to prefer it. As with any big change we'll give it a bit more time to evaluate and maybe have a poll before anything is decided. We always appreciate feedback like yours on the forum or via TS.

The hardcore server is awesome but its never going to be as populated as the main server, if there's aspects of of it we can bring to the main server without hurting player counts (like my anti third person whore script for example) then I'm more than happy to do so.

I agree it doesnt add or improve anything to the gameplay. And i see your point about putting people on a disadvantage instead. I believe it adds something to community/sidechat. Its that part that in my case that probably will be missed. But hey, im gonna follow a tip from another forummember who told me to "give it some time, maybe youll like it". If anything, my opinion is remove spawn selection instead. Sometimes its so easy to be back in a fight fast. Also, make it a rule so spoiling player locations and other crucial info is forbidden.
Not very cool to win a fight in stary, and then having a player shouting in side to kill a bandit there. (dead people dont talk).

Also, the debugmonitor showing kills and humanity is like a scorecard for me, fun to see if i can reach 5 or 10 kills etc on a life, and ofc internal competition inside group about humanity. Didnt quite understand what you meant by putting it in study body function? Do we then have to study a body to see our killcount and humanity? Sometimes after kills, a good descision is to get the "hell outta there" :) I dont study bodies all the time.

Good to hear you appreciate feedback, thats all it is, and not critisicm. Everyone in my squad likes the server alot, and are amazed on how much work admins put into the server.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Vidarro wrote:
Seaweed wrote:

I agree it doesnt add or improve anything to the gameplay. And i see your point about putting people on a disadvantage instead. I believe it adds something to community/sidechat. Its that part that in my case that probably will be missed. But hey, im gonna follow a tip from another forummember who told me to "give it some time, maybe youll like it". If anything, my opinion is remove spawn selection instead. Sometimes its so easy to be back in a fight fast. Also, make it a rule so spoiling player locations and other crucial info is forbidden.
Not very cool to win a fight in stary, and then having a player shouting in side to kill a bandit there. (dead people dont talk).

Also, the debugmonitor showing kills and humanity is like a scorecard for me, fun to see if i can reach 5 or 10 kills etc on a life, and ofc internal competition inside group about humanity. Didnt quite understand what you meant by putting it in study body function? Do we then have to study a body to see our killcount and humanity? Sometimes after kills, a good descision is to get the "hell outta there" :) I dont study bodies all the time.

Good to hear you appreciate feedback, thats all it is, and not critisicm. Everyone in my squad likes the server alot, and are amazed on how much work admins put into the server.

I know in TS! for the last 18 months or so any time we kill a player, the first thing that happens is one of us immediately checking the player list and counting up their allies. The next call out will always be "ok 3 left" etc, that's what I was looking to try put a stop to with the death messages. The sidechat/community aspect could be a loss I agree but I think after a squad wipe people tend to say things in chat anyway. "Who just killed us all at nwaf" etc, because the people who got killed want free intel too.

Spawn selection is definitely getting disabled on main very soon too, I just don't want to make all these hardcore changes at once would rather do one at a time, and wait a while with each change to see how they affect opinion and server population over time. Originally when spawn selection was first added as an option to dayzmod we found running with it enabled really helped server numbers. Nowadays the server population is much higher anyway so we don't need to keep all the easy mode options like that around unless we absolutely have to.

I do indeed mean you won't get a kill on your debug or lose humanity without studying the body. I think most of us see it as a scoreboard, which is why its fun to make people work a bit harder for that score. It's still the same rules for everyone including those you are competing against, which is what makes the whole risk/reward thing about running to the body so interesting. Ideally I would still track "unconfirmed kills" also on the stats page but this might not be possible.

It's a change DayZero made way back when they were originally a dayzmod server and it worked really well over on there. If you have never played DayZero I highly recommend jumping on it sometime for a blast. I think removing the kills/humanity from debug until a body is studied by the killer can help with a number of things. Such as the farming of easy kills on fresh spawns for kills/humanity with little risk of death. There's also the fact that the debug still shows you when a person you are shooting has died currently. The whole not knowing if someone is dead yet aspect of it can also really mess with people in a firefight, suddenly a double tap becomes 4 or 5 shots.

We definitely appreciate and encourage feedback, nearly every addition or change I make come as a result of player input. As I think most people know I rarely get a chance to actually play on the main server (about twice in the last 3 months I think) so I definitely encourage feedback positive or negative. If I was running a server just for me it would be first person only, ridiculously hardcore, no sidechat, no spawn selection etc, and I would be the only player probably haha. That's never been the case though with ZS.

Btw was this you? - viewtopic.php?p=6557#p6557 send me a quick pm if so so I can sort your donor stuff out.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:17 pm 

I'm a bandit!
What about heroes? Can they run around killing people and not study them to prevent humanityloss?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:50 pm 

IGN: Benuar
Current Life: 3.9 hrs
Time Alive: 274.8 hrs
Humanity: -37,112

Murders: 36
Bandit Kills: 89
Deaths: 235
Zombies Killed: 4,531

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
If so i would have probably stayed hero XD but nevermind the bandit competition is nice and more allive

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:53 pm 

IGN: Dampveivals
Current Life: 1.3 hrs
Time Alive: 716.8 hrs
Humanity: -462,507

Murders: 257
Bandit Kills: 163
Deaths: 189
Zombies Killed: 11,977

I'm a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
I don't really see what they add to the game.

For me death messages make the server feel MUCH more alive. To me it's fun seeing the death messages and trying to figure out who's fighting who, and where. Like when lots of people from the same squad start dying you know shit is going down somewhere. Or that "Oh shit"-feeling you get when you kill someone from a squad and you know there's 3 more online. Unrealistic? Maybe, but it's a game after all.

Whenever I play on a server without death messages it just feels empty. Just like ZeroSurvival tonight. Side chat and death messages are very important for the community IMO.

Of course I see how combat can get more intense etc...but I think community > immersion.

Post subject: Death Messages Poll and Discussion
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:49 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Moved posts from changelog to here

Post subject: Re: Death Messages Poll and Discussion
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:16 am 

IGN: [KR] Glored
Time Alive: 101.5 hrs
Humanity: -129,253

Murders: 73
Bandit Kills: 85
Deaths: 193
Zombies Killed: 1,983

I'm a bandit!
Quote:
For me death messages make the server feel MUCH more alive. To me it's fun seeing the death messages and trying to figure out who's fighting who, and where. Like when lots of people from the same squad start dying you know shit is going down somewhere.

Thats so very true but on the other hand killing one guy and studing body and realizing its someone from a squad gives much bigger OH SHIT PANIC MODE. Definetly im up for disabling death msg.

Yesterday at NE when we killed one guy we told our mate to check his name so we can be sure about how many ppl are near hear if he is in squad and it turned out to me a cool fight for Ural with 2 other squads. With need to study body it gives an extra "game mechanic" that might get u killed. More action -> the better

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:01 am 

IGN: Hunter2000
Current Life: 5.7 hrs
Time Alive: 485.5 hrs
Humanity: 2,218

Murders: 7
Bandit Kills: 22
Deaths: 161
Zombies Killed: 7,863

I'm not a bandit!
Dampveivals wrote:
Seaweed wrote:
I don't really see what they add to the game.

For me death messages make the server feel MUCH more alive. To me it's fun seeing the death messages and trying to figure out who's fighting who, and where. Like when lots of people from the same squad start dying you know shit is going down somewhere. Or that "Oh shit"-feeling you get when you kill someone from a squad and you know there's 3 more online. Unrealistic? Maybe, but it's a game after all.

Whenever I play on a server without death messages it just feels empty. Just like ZeroSurvival tonight. Side chat and death messages are very important for the community IMO.

Of course I see how combat can get more intense etc...but I think community > immersion.

I think that a mechanic for "trying to figure out who's fighting who" can be realized in some other way. In the real world we find that out using news networks , sat uplinks and spies, information becomes important.

As for the 'knowing there is someone else fighting out there' factor, if it was up to me I'd remove the player list entirely and let you guess if someone is online or not ; Loneliness and detachment from society are some of the challenging aspects in long term survivalism and it motivates exploration.

Post subject: Re: Death Messages Poll and Discussion
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:15 am 

IGN: Torkmastaflex
Current Life: 11.2 hrs
Time Alive: 369.4 hrs
Humanity: -15,792

Murders: 20
Bandit Kills: 26
Deaths: 187
Zombies Killed: 3,775

I'm a bandit!
HERE COMES THE TORK!!!!!!!

But seriously. I like no messages but it will only shine if spawn selection is removed. On the issue of "Study Body", It can be hard if 3 of us are shooting 3 guys, one dies, and runs back in 15 minutes to continue a fight when we have no idea who we just killed is in that 15 minutes. Also, i have less resentment finding out who we are fighting and then get killed by the squad fighting us.

One last note, Sorry Damp :) No hard feelings?