Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 0
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 0
Zombies Killed: 0

I'm not a bandit!
Gonna make this short and sweet;

1. suggestion;
Make a highscore (like the ones with most deaths/kills/tents/unarmed kills) for the player with most hidden bodies. <-- I'd like to have this added out of plain curiosity, nothing else.

2. suggestion;
When a zombie kills a player, the zombie would, according to all my zombie knowledge, eat the player. Therefore i think gutting players who have been killed by zombies should be disabled.
or even sweeter; add a comment (much like "the poor guy has been gutted, and theres nothing left to bury) to the player. example; "someone has already eaten this player" <-- this could also apply to players who have already been gutted by another person

i'm tired.

EDit; this will also be the thread in which I rabble around random shitty ideas; because why not.

Last edited by Daisy on Fri May 23, 2014 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 2 small ideas
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:16 pm 

IGN: Daisy
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 0.0 hrs

I'm not a bandit!
Another one;
in basebreaking, when succsessfully removing an object, the player who removes it recieve 50%(this can be varied) of the rescources used for building this item. (ttks are rare, toolboxes takes a long time to hoard up, the removal rate is low)

getting slightly too tired.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:01 am 

I'm not a bandit!
last one;
Make all grass pink, and trees blue cotton-candy

ok il go to bed now.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:42 am 

IGN: B3ll
Time Alive: 238.8 hrs
Humanity: -85,577

Murders: 36
Bandit Kills: 36
Deaths: 91
Zombies Killed: 1,698

I'm a bandit!
yes.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:34 am 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Daisy wrote:

1. suggestion;
Make a highscore (like the ones with most deaths/kills/tents/unarmed kills) for the player with most hidden bodies. <-- I'd like to have this added out of plain curiosity, nothing else.

Whilst I like the hide body mechanic I think encouraging it with a stat like that would lead to a lot of rage

Daisy wrote:
2. suggestion;
When a zombie kills a player, the zombie would, according to all my zombie knowledge, eat the player. Therefore i think gutting players who have been killed by zombies should be disabled.
or even sweeter; add a comment (much like "the poor guy has been gutted, and theres nothing left to bury) to the player. example; "someone has already eaten this player" <-- this could also apply to players who have already been gutted by another person

Last time I looked discovering if a player died by zeds wasn't easily possible, but I like the idea. There is already a message if another player has gutted someone.

Daisy wrote:

Another one;
in basebreaking, when succsessfully removing an object, the player who removes it recieve 50%(this can be varied) of the rescources used for building this item. (ttks are rare, toolboxes takes a long time to hoard up, the removal rate is low)

This ones a good a idea, as long as there's no duping glitches I will see if I can work it into a future version of basebuilding along with maintenance or item damage. Currently I don't think most people with a big enough base to be raiding other bases have more than enough basebuilding supplies already.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:17 pm 

IGN: Arfour Foulkesayke
Time Alive: 62.0 hrs
Humanity: 6,962

Murders: 1
Bandit Kills: 7
Deaths: 23
Zombies Killed: 725

I'm a hero!
Seaweed wrote:
Daisy wrote:

1. suggestion;

Whilst I like the hide body mechanic I think encouraging it with a stat like that would lead to a lot of rage

That's exactly what I was thinking. Whilst I wouldn't exactly rage about that I certanly would vote against it. I already suggested a major change in that mechanic here.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:46 pm 

IGN: Benuar
Current Life: 3.9 hrs
Time Alive: 274.8 hrs
Humanity: -37,112

Bandit Kills: 89
Deaths: 235
Zombies Killed: 4,531

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
i find using the mechanic a bit douchy but then again it can save your life a lot to not give the enemy a usable gun... its a very controversial topic at least in our clan ^^

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:38 am 

I'm not a bandit!
Benuar wrote:
i find using the mechanic a bit douchy but then again it can save your life a lot to not give the enemy a usable gun... its a very controversial topic at least in our clan ^^

Hide, Hide everything

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:37 am 

IGN: Torkmastaflex
Current Life: 11.2 hrs
Time Alive: 369.4 hrs
Humanity: -15,792

Murders: 20
Bandit Kills: 26
Deaths: 187
Zombies Killed: 3,775

I'm a bandit!
Daisy wrote:
Benuar wrote:

Hide, Hide everything

Save, Save everyone

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:21 pm 

IGN: Investoren
Time Alive: 574.8 hrs
Humanity: -293,162

Murders: 153
Bandit Kills: 92
Deaths: 234
Zombies Killed: 7,180

I'm a bandit!
Hiding body is essential to combat. For sure. But hiding a body doesnt require any tools. Bury body requires shovel. Hiding a body without any tools seems a bit weird. Maybe its possible to add f.ex. "burn body" instead? and you would need box of matches to do so. The body will also be on fire for a short time, as it is with cars when you shoot/axe em. And smoke!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:06 pm 

IGN: TooHighToFly
Time Alive: 452.6 hrs
Humanity: -134,510

Murders: 92
Bandit Kills: 68
Deaths: 127
Zombies Killed: 2,957

I'm a bandit!
yee smoke!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:17 am 

IGN: Hunter2000
Current Life: 5.7 hrs
Time Alive: 485.5 hrs
Humanity: 2,218

Murders: 7
Bandit Kills: 22
Deaths: 161
Zombies Killed: 7,863

I'm not a bandit!
Lets call it what it is :destroy body, since if something is hidden it implies that it can be discovered which isn't true in this case, Even if you have a shovel and know where it is at you can't dig it out.

In terms of realism that is not entirely unrealistic since "scorched earth" tactics are used by employing chemical weapons such as mustard gas however I agree that a person without means to do so shouldn't be able to just destroy bodies and equipment at the press of a button..

Theoretically you could maybe use the drag/lift body interaction in Arma2 to move the corpse and dump it out of sight which makes more sense because that would actually be hiding it(there is still a chance that it would be found).

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:13 am 

I'm a hero!
As already stated in the other thread: the hole mechanic behind hiding bodies is unrealistic and in my opinion gamebreaking. It takes no effort at all and destroys hours worth of gameplay in mere seconds.

Even burning a body is nonsens, you can't just burn a body in outdoor or even military grade clothes just with a box of matches.

I would love to have the dragging enabled so you could really hide bodies as Hunter suggested. For everything else we need another solution. "Hiding" a body inside a concrete building by making it disappear into the ground is really just stupid.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:51 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
It's pretty funny that you are saying "hide body" is unrealistic. Yet you aren't complaining that running to your own corpse and somehow looting it is also unrealistic. There's tons of things in dayz and indeed every game which forsake realism for gameplay. Would you prefer it if you had to wait 3 months for a broken leg to heal, instead of using morphine. Hide body is very useful in certain situations, and adds to the gameplay, at least for me.

When people rage at others in sidechat etc for hiding bodies it makes me laugh, because you just encourage them, and anyone else reading chat to do it to you more in future. My favourite aspect of dayz is always gearing up, you only get annoyed about hide body, when you have become a slave to always running back to your body. If not for all the complications I would love it if you could never even see your own corpse. Being able to hide bodies has always been a part of dayz and it's not something I would ever remove, just as the SA did not.

All these complex solutions such as dragging body etc are huge amounts of work to code and will have more than their fair share of bugs. Look at the old body duping issue strip clothes had when all I was doing is swapping a corpse for a different skin, for example.

I like the burn mechanic investoren suggested and I've been open to making hide body require an item. It's not a priority for me at the moment though and I don't have the time to code and test a whole new script, especially when the existing one works already. If someone else wants to try to code a new hide body go for it and I'll look at your code. I have a huge amount of work to merge all the addons and modifications when 1.8.1 comes out so I'm not really interested in stuff like this at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:46 am 

I'm not a bandit!
Investoren wrote:
Hiding body is essential to combat. For sure. But hiding a body doesnt require any tools. Bury body requires shovel. Hiding a body without any tools seems a bit weird. Maybe its possible to add f.ex. "burn body" instead? and you would need box of matches to do so. The body will also be on fire for a short time, as it is with cars when you shoot/axe em. And smoke!

This would be so fucking sweet, I cannot think of anything more delightful than setting a dudes body on fire and watch all that work go up in smoke.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:19 am 

I'm a hero!
Seaweed wrote:
It's pretty funny that you are saying "hide body" is unrealistic. Yet you aren't complaining that running to your own corpse and somehow looting it is also unrealistic.

Point taken. ;)

Anyhow - I'm not complaining about the mere fact to lose the body - I'm trying to discuss the mechanic. I don't mind that people hide the bodies, as you said it is part of the game. Just compared to other things in DayZ/Arma it just takes no effort and time at all. Burials - I'm fine with those. It takes a reasonable time, it makes your character move around and it requires a certain tool to do. And it leaves the gear exposed to destruction by fire (even if you just have to hit it and that cardboard box appears out of thin air somehow ;) ). This makes sense for me and adds the visibility, which would be the same like what Investoren suggested. I like his idea, even though I would like to see the need for some accelerant.

What do you guys think about the need for an entrenching tool to hide a body?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:44 am 

IGN: Benuar
Current Life: 3.9 hrs
Time Alive: 274.8 hrs
Humanity: -37,112

Bandit Kills: 89
Deaths: 235
Zombies Killed: 4,531

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
What if everyone has to bury the bodies if he wants to get rid of them? shovel needed. No more hidebody. +150 humanity if you bury, -300 if you destroy a box.

Post subject: Re: Daisys brilliant idea thread.hurr
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:22 am 

I'm not a bandit!
Another idea;
this sounds like alot of work, buttfuckit I'll post it anyway-

Much like crashsites, bring AI controlled urals to drive around the map (maybe a bit rarer than crashsites?).

- once per restart?
- Make different Urals spawn different loot.
e.g.
blue civiillian ural (open) food/drinks/ residential loot.
yellow civillian ural (closed) basic basebuilding loot.
V3S civillian basic russian millitary loot
millitary urals advanced millitary loot

- Make the sons of bitches spawn ALOT of zombies when they crash (inb4 lag)
- Don't announce them through radios and alike; let them drive around the northern part of the map (offroad only?) until players engages.
- players have to blow the ural up to make it stop
- when it blows up, it spawns alot of zombies (different to each ural type/type of loot?), and the loot appears around the crash, much like crashsites.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:11 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Definitely won't be adding any more AI, it's just way too laggy for the server to control them without using a headless client. The idea is cool, I've thought about similar before with both boats and cars.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:18 am 

I'm not a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
Definitely won't be adding any more AI, it's just way too laggy for the server to control them without using a headless client. The idea is cool, I've thought about similar before with both boats and cars.

Yeah, the idea would be that this is a more rare thing happening (perhaps even more rare than I at first stated), but I really get what you're saying about the server being busy/laggy.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:24 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Daisy wrote:
Seaweed wrote:

Yeah, the idea would be that this is a more rare thing happening (perhaps even more rare than I stated), but I really get what you're saying about the server being busy/laggy.

The problem with AI is even on an almost empty server its processing is always being slowed down by the main server thread. So basically the the lower the server FPS the laggier the AI. You may have noticed this with the AI crash sites and the speed they move at especially at times when the server is under a lot of load.

If I was to do the same with Urals etc too I expect they would get frozen for long periods of time and move very slowly as well as themselves adding to server lag.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:40 pm 

I'm not a bandit!
Seaweed wrote:
Daisy wrote:
Seaweed wrote:

Yeah, the idea would be that this is a more rare thing happening (perhaps even more rare than I stated), but I really get what you're saying about the server being busy/laggy.

The problem with AI is even on an almost empty server its processing is always being slowed down by the main server thread. So basically the the lower the server FPS the laggier the AI. You may have noticed this with the AI crash sites and the speed they move at especially at times when the server is under a lot of load.

If I was to do the same with Urals etc too I expect they would get frozen for long periods of time and move very slowly as well as themselves adding to server lag.

ya, this would basicly ruin the entire idea.