Login |  Register |  FAQ

Steam Group

Teamspeak Server

Server Statistics

Facebook Page

Reset Basebuilding after... 6 Months?

Post subject: Reset Basebuilding after... 6 Months?
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:53 am 

IGN: Benuar
Current Life: 3.9 hrs
Time Alive: 274.8 hrs
Humanity: -37,112

Murders: 36
Bandit Kills: 89
Deaths: 235
Zombies Killed: 4,531

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
I know there will be a shitstorm, honestly i dont care. Basebuilding has negative effects on the gameplay due to its huge impact on the loading times and server FPS and quite frankly even though i love my base that is a price way higher than the one i am willing to pay.

Therefore i suggest to reset basebuilding every 6 months (or any other fixed timeframe that works) with that beeing announced first so that everyone will be able to gear up and not loose everything.

Negative side:

Everyone will loose their gear.
Everyone will loose their base.
Everyone will losse their e-penis and probably most of their vehicles

Positive sides:

Server performance will go up and make the game more enjoyable for all of us.
Instead of having to spend shittons of money just on hardware to stabilize what we already have we could raise the playercount.
The game will focus back on hunting and gathering instead of taking stuff from base and going to kill freshspawns and other people with it.
Base breakins will become more frequent and more possible.
The fact that i love so much about basebuilding - the actual basebuilding - will be come more important again and you basicly get the chance to redesign your base every 6 months.
Once every 6 Months all newcomers will be set to the same level as old clans - you will get new challangers to measure yourself against.
Vehicles will become more of a use object again as theres no point in locking them away.

In the end: We will actualy get challanged again instead of just derping around hitting the small kids every once in a while.

Post subject: Re: Reset Basebuilding after... 6 Months?
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:23 am 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Not a bad short term solution as far as I'm concerned, could definitely hurt the player count though.

If I rewrite basebuilding to change some things (item maintenance and/or break ins with satchel charges for example) its possible a wipe of all bases may be needed anyway.

Likewise if it takes me a long time to merge basebuilding to work on the new dayz patch it will probably make sense to start from a fresh then too. There's also an addon included as part of 1.8.1 which could potentially add a range of new objects which could be used for basebuilding too. If the recipe list ever changes dramatically a wipe is pretty much necessary anyway.

The problem with all of the above is the effect it usually has on the player count. I would like to think people play here for more than the contents of their tents. However in the past when we have had to have basebuilding wipes, or its not been in game temporarily that has not proved to be true.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:40 am 

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
I have heard the people complain and threaten but to be honest if one of the big clans leave that void can be filled so fast. sT is gone and we hit 50 players almost every night. RTB is gone and still i had to wait 5 mins yesterday becouse we were on 50/50.

The main reason why new players dont stay on the server is that they get killed by guys with way to good gear or that they see the giantic bases and think they would never stand a chance.

While i would miss playing against MM or RD i dont think them leaving would have a lasting impact on the playercount.

I would however be disappointed if they would play even less just caused by the basebuilding since this game and especially this server is so much more.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:25 am 

IGN: Daisy
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 0.0 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 0
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 0
Zombies Killed: 0

I'm not a bandit!
I Like the idea

but what will be in from stopping people and their teammates to crab a czech backpack and fill it with ttks, every 6th(or so) months?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:26 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Daisy wrote:
I Like the idea

but what will be in from stopping people and their teammates to crab a czech backpack and fill it with ttks, every 6th(or so) months?

I guess I wouldn't mention the exact date the reset would be happening for that reason ^

Edit: Or I could just replace all basebuilding items people have in their inventories with junk loot, whenever a reset happens.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:31 pm 

IGN: reen624
Current Life: 11.0 hrs
Time Alive: 241.8 hrs
Humanity: 35,766

Murders: 1
Bandit Kills: 63
Deaths: 99
Zombies Killed: 2,202

I'm a hero!
I am completely happy with my base and we have lots of ttks build in useless things. just for the optic not for security. we dont even have a closed garage at the moment. We dont have that typical container bunker which is impossible to brake in. Or builded 16 layers in one object. I like my base, i will continue to improve optics and style. I dislike the idea of loosing that after 6 months. If im honest: It was cool to build it up, but hard work though. I dont have the time right now to put that much energy into it. It would be very very hard 4 me if this would be wiped now.

Only my personal opinion. I dont have the propper idea for solving the basebuilding problem either. But complete wipes? I dont know. I like the old rotten bases which u can find over the map. Well... i dont know if its the best solution!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:00 pm 

IGN: RDogg
Current Life: 1.8 hrs
Time Alive: 36.4 hrs
Humanity: 2,810

Murders: 7
Bandit Kills: 10
Deaths: 39
Zombies Killed: 219

I'm not a bandit!
I have only come back on to the server in recent weeks (Used to play regularly last year), so I'm not fully up to date on these issues.

As Seaweed mentioned with some of the updates in patches, etc.. Wiping may be unavoidable altogether. I'd find it very sad if the player count dropped massively just because people lost stuff. It's terrible reason to stop playing in my honest opinion. I appreciate the effort and time put in, but everyone should know by now the one thing that hampers peoples experience and that is getting attached.

Can you imagine how awesome it would be to have everyone back on a level playing field? The chaos down in the coastal areas, constant firefights along those northern routes people take to get the best gear, the fight to get the best spot for a base. I love fighting. In all honesty I actually completely ignore the aspect of base building here, nothing against Seaweed, the server, or the time or effort put in by others.. But I just love fighting. I leave the building to my friends.

Different opinions, different players. I'm the kind of player who'd rather travel the map being a thorn in peoples sides. So the idea of things being wiped doesn't bother me, but I can understand it would bother others.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:35 pm 

IGN: Smurf
Current Life: 1.3 hrs
Time Alive: 16.8 hrs
Humanity: -12,964

Murders: 7
Bandit Kills: 13
Deaths: 17
Zombies Killed: 276

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
i would like to see bases still beeing there, although not the massive ones - there should be some restrictions to how secure it couid be.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:32 am 

IGN: [KR] Glored
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 101.5 hrs
Humanity: -129,253

Murders: 73
Bandit Kills: 85
Deaths: 193
Zombies Killed: 1,983

I'm a bandit!
Very good idea in my opinion. We have what maybe 30 bb obcjets? and we rly dont care about doing more, we have a place to stash tents/cars. If a clan want to break into they will then i guess there is no point in looting industrials like a mad man for ttk.
If we want to reduce amount of BB objects from everyone to improve performance of server we could set a limit for ~50BB objects. To increase duration of achieving end game base we could increase number of items needed to build an object by 20-50% as well as increase %fail on breaking in by 1-2% so we get well secured bases with no trilion objects bases that have place for everything u need. A clan need like 5 max tents when they are using gear not hoarding it as well 3 cars are more then enough.
I bet some ppl will get rly angry when reset will occur but I think they take game too serious. Imagine this is a ladder like in diablo and gets reseted every period of time. But server nearly everyday is 40+ players online so i guess losing few players wouldnt hurt us and it might give big opportunity for new comers to get into play. When we started building first 2 consturcions we were frustrated when all the time clans where going there and shooting us etc while we had no idea what we were doing with base. I imagine new guys when see a freaking huge base got a similar thoughts that these guys are powerful and he has no chance of building a solid base for himself.
BB is what brought us to the server after very bad experience on Epoch. Having your "safe-stash" is pretty cool and gives u a good mindset for playing. I would be sad if it is removed but will still be playing here as I dont see any other good ~vanila servers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:30 am 

IGN: Joe AKA Jonas
Current Life: 0.4 hrs
Time Alive: 0.7 hrs

Deaths: 1

I'm not a bandit!
NO NO NO NO. HELL NO!

Waisting so much time in bulding a fort that being destroyed after 6 months of work? Hello no.

I don't think it will decrease the player count. It will scare away big clans with big bases and they will be replaced by nubs that come there one in a lifetime and never visiting again because of free slots.
If you would like to have that kind of player on the server.. have fun ICD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:31 pm 

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
Most nubs make for better fights than the big clans that just lure around their base and only come out when there is a huey to find ;-)

Benuar wrote:
I know there will be a shitstorm, honestly i dont care.

There is a problem, help to find a solution.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:48 pm 

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
Jones wrote:
Waisting so much time in bulding a fort

I rarly consider time spend on this server as wasted. If you see this differently you might want to rethink your gaming behaviour.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:57 pm 

IGN: Dampveivals
Current Life: 1.3 hrs
Time Alive: 716.8 hrs
Humanity: -462,507

Murders: 257
Bandit Kills: 163
Deaths: 189
Zombies Killed: 11,977

I'm a bandit!
Honestly I think this is a horrible idea.

As I always say, a big part of what makes this server awesome is the community. And base building is one of the best ways to make people feel connected to the server and come back for more. I really don't think this server would be as popular as it is without base building. People get attached to their bases, and having something to work towards is fun and rewarding. It also gives people a way to make their mark on the map, and it separates ZeroSurvival from other servers.

If you randomly decide to just wipe all the bases you throw all of this out the window. You would also erase a huge part of what makes ZeroSurvival what it is. And a lot of people who love base building would probably lose most of their motivation to play, or they would move to another server that doesn't wipe bases every six months. It's not about the size of your base or the contents in your tents, it's about the connection and motivation it creates.

In my opinion base building needs more regulations and more ways to break in, not a complete wipe every six months.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
DayZmod are adding the beginnings of their own vision for basebuilding in the next patch which should be out at the end of this month

https://imgur.com/a/X1HBQ

You can view some of the 3d assets here, they are from aftermath originally. Depending on how complete this system is we may just run vanilla dayz basebuillding which I can then of course customize and add to later. Alternately we can use the new 3d items in our old basebuilding system, it's too early to say at this point though.

Still no idea whats happening with basebuilding in general I have bigger concerns atm which is getting a server up and running on the 124802 beta patch and getting then getting the major bugs in 1.8.1 a bit more stable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:13 pm 

IGN: Wojciech
Current Life: 21.2 hrs
Time Alive: 458.4 hrs
Humanity: -198,816

Murders: 93
Bandit Kills: 136
Deaths: 168
Zombies Killed: 4,476

I'm a bandit!
Jones wrote:
Waisting so much time in bulding a fort that being destroyed after 6 months of work? Hello no.

I guess with this attidute you should stop playing immediately. It's easily-predictible, that DayZ will die at some point, ZeroSurvival in current shape with it. And your base is going to be gone, your time is going to become wasted...

Dampveivals wrote:
It's not about the size of your base or the contents in your tents, it's about the connection and motivation it creates.

Agreed.
But then I don't get how "base-wipe" idea hits this aspect. I would say that it would even strengthen the motivation right after wipe - because that's the most important moment, when everybody is weak and it's your thing if you want to become important one, or just one of the rest. You can only imagine the race for good base spots for instance.

I don't say this idea is perfect. But it is some kind of idea that would prevent bases from growing forever.
Other one would be to limit number of objects (which also would be nice, because design of a base would start to really matter) - but then what are you going to do when you reach it?

Well, let's see how the vanilla DayZ basebuilding will look like. Maybe that would solve some problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:11 am 

IGN: Joe AKA Jonas
Current Life: 0.4 hrs
Time Alive: 0.7 hrs

Deaths: 1

I'm not a bandit!
wojos1Artist wrote:
Jones wrote:

wojos1Artist wrote:
I guess with this attidute you should stop playing immediately. It's easily-predictible, that DayZ will die at some point, ZeroSurvival in current shape with it. And your base is going to be gone, your time is going to become wasted...

You haven't understand, what i was going to say. I really love playing on the Server. I love the community and the fun we have and had on the Server. One of my longterm goals is to build a base, defend the territory and spend time in building it. But i can't feel good about building a base if i know all will be gone after 6 months again. This definitely decrease my motivation to play and spent hours of hours of farming supplies for basebuilding and raiding another's to get more supply.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:42 am 

Wearing a ghillie suit!
I'm a bandit!
Ever since Marian got banned how many times did you have to activly defend your base?

Its just to big for anyone to have a chance to get in.

Sure you get sniped there very once in a while but how much does that realy harm you?

Even our base lasts without defence and you guys didnt get into the bunker without a single one of us beeing online. They are to big and a limit to objects would decrease the insentive to farm stuff way more.

I am with wojos on this, after a base wipe i would farm way more than before, can you imagine 3-4 clans trying to get controll of polana or cherno?

It will be awsome!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:07 am 

IGN: Wojciech
Current Life: 21.2 hrs
Time Alive: 458.4 hrs
Humanity: -198,816

Murders: 93
Bandit Kills: 136
Deaths: 168
Zombies Killed: 4,476

I'm a bandit!
I like basebuilding like it is, maybe I didn't mention that (that's why I would probobly be more happy with base wiping than some major changes to basebuilding itself).
Maybe another idea to make it easier to brake would be simply increasing amount of toolboxes, or organising events rewarded with tents full of toolboxes. And decrease the time of breaking single container, at least in bases where amount of objects is huge. Still it doesn't solve the problem of amount of objects getting to high.