Current Life: 7.7 hrs
Time Alive: 7.7 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 1
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 0
Zombies Killed: 30

I'm not a bandit!
holy shit, logged in, met up with some dudes, get to NWA. murder some guy, lose elite shit happens, we're sad. suddenly badness.. EVERYWHERE.

we hide, bullets land all around us, two dudes die, litte bird buzzes us, rounds at chopper, all is quiet. we clench our asses.

we decide to fucking flee. elite strikes a bunny with bicycle, bunny 1 bike 0 GG.
AJ jacks a uaz, we proced to run like fuck and make a camp fire so we dont die, AS SOON AS WE FUCKING LEAVE we see a haphazardly listing sorta hovering chopper, we think its AI being buggy as shit and move to investigate. turns out its dmz! SPREADSHEET MATH TIME! FORMUALA = m16+dmr+m14+littlebird = beeping? #yoloswag
yeah, we shot that shit down.. Murica

we return safe with uaz after meeting up with some dudes, holy shit, what an awesome day of dayz. still mad we missed the v3s, but WHO CARES So MUCH AWESOME SO LITTLE TIME.
hope to play with you dudes again soon.

~cracked out post as my pulse/breathing rate as not returned to normal
god save the queen

Post subject: Re: day one day zero
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:33 pm 

IGN: eberteby
Current Life: 9.8 hrs
Time Alive: 860.1 hrs
Humanity: -235,384

Murders: 152
Bandit Kills: 159
Deaths: 352
Zombies Killed: 4,720

I'm a bandit!
Wonderful :)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:00 pm 

IGN: Deadly Habit
Current Life: 0.2 hrs
Time Alive: 20.3 hrs
Humanity: -2,101

Murders: 3
Bandit Kills: 4
Deaths: 12
Zombies Killed: 214

I'm a bandit!
Ah wonder if that was us.
I buzzed the NWA this afternoon with 4 others with me in the little bird and dropped off like 3 guys before logging off when we spotted a couple guys in camo.
Another pilot took over then so I missed out on the action, but he got shot down apparently when heading to refuel.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:00 pm 

IGN: TooHighToFly
Current Life: 0.0 hrs
Time Alive: 452.6 hrs
Humanity: -134,510

Murders: 92
Bandit Kills: 68
Deaths: 127
Zombies Killed: 2,957

I'm a bandit!
That sounds...so badass,

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
deadlyhabit wrote:
Ah wonder if that was us.
I buzzed the NWA this afternoon with 4 others with me in the little bird and dropped off like 3 guys before logging off when we spotted a couple guys in camo.
Another pilot took over then so I missed out on the action, but he got shot down apparently when heading to refuel.

DMZ got shot down because he was auto hovering so he could type his usual bullshit in sidechat :lol:

gg guys looking forward to more o7

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:23 am 

I'm a bandit!
Haha yea I was playing XCOM and got a message about that and to the effect that as always I'm the designated heli pilot :lol:
I do love flying those little birds though so maneuverable in between buildings and tight spaces.
Is the armed one set to spawn on the server by chance?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:59 am 

IGN: AdjustedJunk
Time Alive: 514.3 hrs
Humanity: 16,565

Murders: 11
Zombies Killed: 2,550

I'm a hero!
deadlyhabit wrote:
Haha yea I was playing XCOM and got a message about that and to the effect that as always I'm the designated heli pilot :lol:
I do love flying those little birds though so maneuverable in between buildings and tight spaces.

Nope. Only armed air vehicle atm is the Biplane. Has 1 M240 on the nose with 3 clips. HARD AS FUCK to shoot with that thing, from what I hear, so it's not OP.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:26 am 

I'm a bandit!
AdjustedJunk wrote:
deadlyhabit wrote:

Nope. Only armed air vehicle atm is the Biplane. Has 1 M240 on the nose with 3 clips. HARD AS FUCK to shoot with that thing, from what I hear, so it's not OP.

It's a bit OP because it's next to impossible to shoot down IMO (I dumped about 10 DMR rounds into the cockpit trying to hit the pilot, 1 DMR mag into the body, 5 STANAG mags into the body as well in one sitting).
Seaweed told me the stats for shooting it down, and the only thing really feasible on the server IIRC is 2 203 HE rounds, which on a moving flying target is a bitch.
Probably about as hard to shoot with as the minigun on the Warthog, never really messed with the biplane in the editor, but gives me something to do later.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:05 am 

IGN: AdjustedJunk
Time Alive: 514.3 hrs
Humanity: 16,565

Murders: 11
Zombies Killed: 2,550

I'm a hero!
Yeah, but at least with the Biplane if they want to kill you, they more than likely have to get off the plane, short of going Kamikaze on someone. But I get what you're saying. They really should give it the same set-up as a chopper or something(Engine, instruments, rotor, etc) to make them harder to obtain/keep.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:38 am 

IGN: Deathdude
Current Life: 0.1 hrs
Time Alive: 96.0 hrs

Murders: 14
Bandit Kills: 7
Deaths: 26
Zombies Killed: 2,053

I'm not a bandit!
hmm i thought damaging biplanes was currently glitched? 300 rounds from a mk48 (+ other rounds from high power snipers) didn't destroy it when omen and zilvervis engaged me and coffmad once

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
The damage value on the plane is something fucked with ARMA/DayZ unfortunately. If that was something I could adjust without a client download I would have a long time ago, even opened a dayzmod bug report up on it once only for the devs to ignore and close it.

We did some testing in our test server with it and you can explode one in as few (LOL?!) as 3 full M240 mags if you aim purely at the engine, hitting anywhere else won't damage it at all and just wastes ammo. As I have told others though the only real viable way I found was M203 grenades (only took two to explode a fully green plane when I tried). Yes that's hard if it's flying but people have to land eventually. If you see a plane that's smoking already you can explode it more easily, you can hit the pilot through the window too, it's very difficult though I know.

We still die in plane crashes all the time, I've watched both Omen and Mr Z go from not being able to fly the planes at all to the fucking masters they are now. One of the reasons I spawned everyone planes last week in the server event was because I was trying to give people more flying practice. I don't understand why more people on the server don't try to learn, its very rewarding and it takes a lot of skill far more than flying a chopper.

It does annoy me when people moan about SNM! and their "flying tank" like I've somehow set that up. All I did was remove choppers from the server, Omen and MrZ learned to fly a plane from never doing so before because of this; I didn't add planes for them. I have seen the amount of work that went into mastering flying them and its nothing anyone else on the server couldn't learn if they spent the time to try.

I might try putting an m240 on the little bird, I love flying that thing as well deadly, probably my favorite air vehicle in arma.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:13 am 

I'm not a bandit!
the position of the pilot model seems a little off to me, ive shot directly at pilots heads before, and i can see the bullet hit the ground past the plane through the cockpit windows :/ they seem to travel through the pilots head but not hit anything, or maybe i just suck :D

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:16 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
Deathdude wrote:
the position of the pilot model seems a little off to me, ive shot directly at pilots heads before, and i can see the bullet hit the ground past the plane through the cockpit windows :/ they seem to travel through the pilots head but not hit anything, or maybe i just suck :D

Yeah I also think there's something weird with the glass on it, I know its possible to hit the pilot because we've had it happen quite a few times now. There have been other times where people have been really close and missed though.

Next time I have the test server up I'll try and record a video of how to kill a plane and it's pilot in case it helps out.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 am 

I'm not a bandit!
mind you, the only times I've tried are from side on to the plane, maybe you have to be a bit more in front of it?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:26 pm 

No Gamer Profile
welcome back little bird...its been a while!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:05 pm 

I'm a bandit!
Yea I know the damage model on it is bugged, just having the gun on it and no other vehicles makes it seem OP even if it is hard to fly and shoot.
Heh add in the Warthog as well as the little bird with guns :lol:
DayZ needs the fart of death from above.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:04 pm 

No Gamer Profile
Seaweed wrote:
We still die in plane crashes all the time, I've watched both Omen and Mr Z go from not being able to fly the planes at all to the fucking masters they are now.

With practice, you can land the biplane anywhere. you might not always have enough room to take off, but you can land that thing anywhere. i dont get how its op...ive been shot out of it. and you need to exit the plane to kill someone. giving people a chance to steal it (like one of zomb's friends did) or a chance to kill me and take it. yeah it has mounted guns but i got lucky and killed one guy. i hit someone else but it didnt kill them.

are the people who are crying OP the ones who dont take the time to learn how to use it to its full abilities?

put another vehicle in and i will do all i can to learn and master it. put a new gun in and i will try and perfect it. its really up to the player and whether or not they have the drive to make anything OP. sick of the nerf boyz. look what they did to Battlefield 3!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:08 pm 

No Gamer Profile
deadlyhabit wrote:
Yea I know the damage model on it is bugged, just having the gun on it and no other vehicles makes it seem OP even if it is hard to fly and shoot.
Heh add in the Warthog as well as the little bird with guns :lol:
DayZ needs the fart of death from above.

oh man...its a pain in the dick to get a kill using the fixed guns. for one, the guns are angled up....they need to be angled slightly down. you have to do a damn nose dive to fire at someone on the ground risking everything and hope you pull out of the dive before you plow into the trees or dirt.

i think there has been one biplane m240 kill in the history of the server. the only OP thing about it is its hard to blow up from the ground.

people might get mad that im sharing this info but...mk48 and m249 saw will cut through that biplane hull like butter and put holes into the pilot and passenger like its nothing. a few nights ago i got sniped by the [FAIL] fags while i was sitting in it. had to bail and bandage.

you dont see those things because i dont upload videos where im getting fucked up lol!!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:01 am 

I'm a bandit!
Guess I'll have to do some testing in the editor this weekend.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:26 am 

I'm a bandit!
Just tested it in the editor, the AN-2 takes 8 203 HE grenades to destroy, 500 rounds from the M240 only took the hull down to yellow.
I think tank with wings is an accurate statement.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:42 am 

No Gamer Profile
deadlyhabit wrote:
Just tested it in the editor, the AN-2 takes 8 203 HE grenades to destroy, 500 rounds from the M240 only took the hull down to yellow.

Next time, aim for the propeller/motor. U can take it out much faster. We have taken out a biplane with 2 he grenades. Maybe we have better aim lol

Add an aimable turret that fires tank shells and your statement would be correct. I'm never afraid of a biplane if I see one in the sky.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:09 am 

IGN: TooHighToFly
Time Alive: 452.6 hrs
Humanity: -134,510

Murders: 92
Bandit Kills: 68
Deaths: 127
Zombies Killed: 2,957

I'm a bandit!
SNM! Omen wrote:
I'm never afraid of a biplane if I see one in the sky.

I think most people are just afraid of who might be flying it. ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:45 pm 

I'm a bandit!
SNM! Omen wrote:
deadlyhabit wrote:

Next time, aim for the propeller/motor. U can take it out much faster. We have taken out a biplane with 2 he grenades. Maybe we have better aim lol

Add an aimable turret that fires tank shells and your statement would be correct. I'm never afraid of a biplane if I see one in the sky.

I simulated from 200 meters out which is a reasonable engagement distance especially for the 203, and that's not taking into account a moving target that may or may not be strafing your position and peppering with fire, doubt it has anything to do with aim as i'm experienced with both weapons i used.
Hell I did this test because Seaweed said to try it out :lol:
For those unfamiliar with the 203 leaf sight
I can up a video to demonstrate though.
What's the actual revision with the gun on it btw, as the Taki Army AN-2 seems to be lacking the gun and I wouldn't mind testing the actual firing on the thing.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bandit!
The gun is added with script server side its m240_veh, it's static angled slightly up so it's real hard to hit things.

When we blew a plane up in 2 m203s it was close range at NEAF on dayz, you also don't do damage unless you hit the engine as far as I could tell.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:56 pm 

I'm a bandit!
Ah ok I'll add the gun and test it then since it should be easy enough to do.
You actually do do damage by hitting the body and splash damage from 203s works as well.