Current Life: 0.2 hrs
Time Alive: 11.9 hrs
Humanity: 2,500

Murders: 0
Bandit Kills: 0
Deaths: 10
Zombies Killed: 22

I'm not a bandit!
Hi everyone, I'm new on this server and in fact new in Dayz gaming. I have around 10-15h of experience only, but I'm getting into it quite quickly, I think :)

I was wondering since I managed to stay alive for a couple of hours, I have food supplies, drinks, ammo and the basic stuff like a toolbox (yet to find a map) how can I build a secret storage so I don't have to respawn naked to the bone :)

I want to build something small so I can store some basic stuff and get to it when I die. Can someone give me a quick intro on this topic? When I try to google it, it just shows me a lot of stuff from other mods like epoch and stuff and I really can not tell what's important for me in this server and what is not.

I appreciate your help :)

Post subject: Re: Noob here - Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Greetings,

There's not a very clear guide for the basebuiilding currently since I moved the server over to version 1.3. I do plan on writing one soon however. Here's some tips that should tell you all you the basics.

Base building Ingredients:

tank trap kits, scrap metal, wood, sandbags, barbed wire, grenades, camonets, bricks, string, duct tape, supply crates, scrap electronics

You can find out how many of each of these items you will need to build something by viewing the build recipes in the game. To do this you just need to have one of the above items in your main inventory, as well as a toolbox. Then if you scroll your mouse you will see the "basebuilding recipes" option.

A list of the old recipes from a previous version of the basebuilding script can be found here - http://forums.sernix.net/index.php?topic=87.0 this should give you a basic idea of how things work and some of the items you can build. However since that guide was written I have updated the basebuilding plugin significantly.

Under the new basebuilding plugin the first thing you will need to build for your base is a flag, there's some more information on that in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=729 I believe the recipe for a flag is two tank traps, scrap metal, duct tape and string.

If you are a noobie I would strongly advise the following strategy.

- Get a tent and place it somewhere well hidden
- Begin collecting your basebuilding supplies, first thing you will need is a flag store them in your tent
- Once you have a flag you can start collecting supplies for a container to cover your tent up
- You now have you first secure base use this tent to store your supplies whilst you loot enough to build more walls etc for your base

Remember some basebuilding items are easier to remove than others (check the basebuilding recipes to see the percentages). A single height shipping container which most people use for the starting point of a base has a 3% success rate with a 70% chance to lose a toolbox. So even one container will require anyone wishing to raid your base to come prepared.

Best places to loot for basebuilding equipment are industrial locations especially factories and airfield hangers good luck getting your base set up let me know if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:20 pm 

IGN: ljiljan89

I'm not a bandit!
I've found my first tent in the game this morning :D
Let's see if i got it

So, I'll hide the tent and I can store my supplies in there and even if I die and the server resets the items will still be there? Also anyone can loot it. That's right?

In order to keep others from stealing I should build walls around it and put a flag (can the flag be destroyed?) so no one can build inside my base? Where can I see which walls are the best (least probability of getting destroyed or bypassed)? How do I build a door/entrance? I can't find it in your first link? and one more question, which buildings can store items from the link you provided?

Thank you very much for your answer and I'm sorry for being a complete noob, we all had to be there when we started :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
ljiljan89 wrote:
I've found my first tent in the game this morning :D
Let's see if i got it

So, I'll hide the tent and I can store my supplies in there and even if I die and the server resets the items will still be there? Also anyone can loot it. That's right?

Yup thats correct your tent will store items, but it can be looted by others or destroyed with a melee weapon. The best spots are usually in pine trees.

ljiljan89 wrote:
In order to keep others from stealing I should build walls around it and put a flag (can the flag be destroyed?) so no one can build inside my base? Where can I see which walls are the best (least probability of getting destroyed or bypassed)? How do I build a door/entrance? I can't find it in your first link? and one more question, which buildings can store items from the link you provided?

Thank you very much for your answer and I'm sorry for being a complete noob, we all had to be there when we started :)

Yes you can build walls around it, or you can just place the container straight over the top of a tent. Once you have a flag in an area that area is yours. No one else who isn't added to your flagpole can build within a 300m radius (except for booby traps). Your flag itself cannot be removed by other players.

Doors are built using these

You can then raise or lower any of the above walls within a 100m of one of your infostand. Infostands can also operate roofs which open/close and lights which you can build at your base. To operate the infostand you must be added to the flagpole.

Infostand:

Most people start their bases without gates using info panels though. Because you own the container if you place it on top a tent you can remove it whenever you like (make sure you have inventory space for the items before you do though!). The simplest base can be as little as one shipping container and a flagpole.

You can see the removal percentages for each item from the recipe list inside the game itself, there are 3 different types

high = 3% chance of success per toolbox
medium = 30% chance of success per toolbox
low = 65% chance of success per toolbox

None of the basebuilding items themselves can hold items, only tents and stashes (and soon dometents) can in dayzmod. However you can use basebuilding items to keep tents, stashes or vehicles reasonably secure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:40 pm 

IGN: ljiljan89

I'm not a bandit!
Thank you very much :) Helped a lot