Current Life: 0.4 hrs
Time Alive: 160.7 hrs
Humanity: -158,294

Murders: 64
Bandit Kills: 55
Deaths: 81
Zombies Killed: 2,026

I'm a bandit!
Yesterday, me and my three friends wanted to try out your server. Two of us had played a couple hours, when the third of us logged in. He was told where to go, where to find a bike, and where to find a tent.

After that he got banned for map hacking. No evidence of it, just an assumption from admin.
After speaking with admin in ts, it was sorted out.

Later one of us had logged out, and three of us where still playing. Driving around in an Ural, we spotted two helicrashes east of Green mountain. It was five minutes until restart.

We looted and gathered some m4`s, a l85, etc, and we found a m24 with no ammo. We put everything on the ural right before restart.

Now... Everyone with a little experience know that arma is full of bugs. And especially right before restarts, it often doesnt save correctly. This is common knowledge amongst most admins.

Now, after the restart we logged back in, and after a couple of minutes we where all adminbanned for hacking.
No reason given.

Two of us joined your ts to try and figure out what was going on, and wasnt able to reason with the admin there either. He based our "hacking" on one of us having a m24 with no ammo, the one we took out of the ural after the restart.

And, btw... if some of us where hacking... would we spawn in a m24 with no ammo? doubtful..

Im admin myself on a popular overwatch server. If any admins would like to learn how to catch REAL hackers, using battleye filters, rpt logs, paid antihack logs etc, I`ll be happy to educate you. Then u dont have to ban legit players anymore. (im guessing we are not the only ones banned on assumptions from admin).

This is not a ban appeal, we kinda lost interest in the server after this happening.
This is just a friendly pointer that your server has some issues ;)

Peace out!

Post subject: Re: Server admin issues.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

IGN: Seaweed
Current Life: 11.8 hrs
Time Alive: 1242.5 hrs
Humanity: -193,116

Murders: 162
Bandit Kills: 69
Deaths: 122
Zombies Killed: 7,911

I'm a bandit!
Hi,

I can only offer an apology and an explanation in this case. You're groups movements were very strange, you have to remember that on a server like this there are very few vehicles, I don't doubt it was coincidental that your friends found that ural where they did. However when the path was viewed in the context of my map it did clearly stand out which was why I started watching you as I do for every new player to the server. I've seen similar paths many times from new players joining the server either to tents or to bases where vehicles are stored. Those players have then go on to wreak further havok on the server and it is only that I was trying to prevent. Unfortunately with catching things like ESP false bans can occur however yesterday I did act far far too swiftly.

In this case the way I handled that situation was entirely out of order and I can only tell you why reacted that way at the time. I did indeed ban your group when I saw that M24. The reason I jumped to that conclusion was because I had removed the M24 regular camo version from the crash sites. I'd made this change and verified it several days before. I also checked a database rollback from 3.5 mins before the server restart. No M24 on any players or inside the ural. I then did the same thing for a backup 6 mins after the restart (around 2 before the ban) and saw the same thing. I do indeed understand that database sync with dayz is never 100% which is what we saw here. Presumably my later backup occurred during a period the m24 was on the ground.

What I didn't realize until later that night when I had some time to go over things was that I had accidentally replaced my new loot table with an old file, leaving the regular M24 back in there instead of the newly added desert variant. I revoked all the bans around an hour after speaking with you, after translating the worldspace coordinates for the crash sites from the RPT logs and confirming everything you had told me. I admit my handling of this case was not good I hope you can somewhat understand my reasoning for my presumptions at least. I will admit though I was definitely in the wrong here sorry for that and I can understand why you would not want to play here again.

I do understand all to well how to admin my server I have done it for a very long time and I hope the long term members of the server see the benefits of that. I use a number of different methods none of which are flawless. We don't use the same backdoored antihack many servers run we have custom things in place for catching cheats. I already automatically parse my RPT files for logging purposes and I have an automated system in place for banning of battleye exceptions and custom BE filters for the stuff that gets through.

The only thing lacking in this case was how I handled my interactions with you and the investigation of your ban, my only excuse for that is that I am the only admin of this server and I was very busy and not having a good day at all yesterday. I can understand why you would be angry and not want to play here again but if you do I hope you have a better experience in future. Certainly this case has made me realize I can handle situations like this better in future I was too swift to act in both cases and I can only offer this apology and explanation for that now.

Post subject: Re: Server admin issues.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:18 pm 

IGN: Vidarro
Current Life: 0.4 hrs
Time Alive: 160.7 hrs
Humanity: -158,294

Murders: 64
Bandit Kills: 55
Deaths: 81
Zombies Killed: 2,026

I'm a bandit!
Hi Seaweed,

To be honest i didnt expect a thorough explanation like this. But now I see I was wrong in thinking that. Apology and explanation is accepted. Dont be too surprised if you see us ingame again. Thank you for taking time to give us the explanation. I understand running a server alone is a lot of work.

Vidarro.